AVS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I recently helped a friend paint his wooden floor. The floor was very old and he wanted to paint it black and put a vinyl sticker 8x8 on the floor with his logo. Well we primed the floor with a oil based tinted primer.

So now we have some dutch boy latex semi gloss paint that we need to put down.

The thing I am worried about is the process in doing this correctly. The floor is more or less used as a dance floor so i'm worried about durability. I did some searching and found "sealers" "clear coats" "top coats" etc...

I am guessing that after we paint the floor with the latex black we will have to use a clear coat of some sort???

any suggestions on products would be greatly appreciated!!!

thanks guys!

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
RETIRED theater builder
36,355 Posts
I hope your friend appreciates that he will never keep a black dance floor clean unless he really works at it. My guesstimate is that the best he can hope for is black with a dusty gray haze after all the foot traffic.

·
Registered
64 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmas /forum/post/15555797

so the urethane that you listed can be used over latex paint i'm hoping???

Yes, no problem over latex paint. But be careful, as said above, be sure to do very thin coats. I've never heard about weeks to cure (must've been a very thick coat of urethane
), but it could take a week or so if you do it too thick. Also, if you do thick coats you will get a more cloudy finish, not the clear finish I'm sure your hoping for.

Below are some pictures of the floor at my friends house that we just completed re-finishing (it was about a 100 year old floor that we had to rent a sander to refinish) just so you know that I am not full of b.s.

Anyways, good luck and take your time. . .It'll turn out pretty nice.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
looks really good. still the only issue I keep getting made aware of is using poly over a latex paint.... the sherwin williams guy said it would not work. BUT, i've had other people tell me that it will...

WHO TO BELIEVE????

·
Registered
64 Posts
I can tell you that I have used it over latex paint on a stair stringer. . . BUT, it didn't have as good of a protection quality as it does when used over stain. My theory is that the problem isn't with the poly adhering to the latex, the problem is the latex pain will lose adhesion with the substrate it is attached to.

Did the guy at S.W. steer you in another direction?

If the floor isn't already painted I would suggest getting the darkest stain possible & letting it soak into the floor for awhile (probably about 35-40 minutes) before wiping the stain off. If you do this two or three times it should get you really close to black (it will still definitely be grey though). Obviously, this is going to be way more time consuming than paint, but it will be much more durable, especially important for a dance floor!!!

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you used an oil based primer, why wouldn't you use an oil based paint on top of it? In my experience, oil based paints tend to hold up better than latex anyways, especially when put on items that end up with lots of contact like entertainment centers/cabinets. Also, I would trust what someone at a Sherwin Williams store when it comes to paint. They usually aren't like the guys at Home Depot that had a 2 hour "training session" on paint and now they're an "expert".

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg_B100 /forum/post/15575258

If you used an oil based primer, why wouldn't you use an oil based paint on top of it? In my experience, oil based paints tend to hold up better than latex anyways, especially when put on items that end up with lots of contact like entertainment centers/cabinets. Also, I would trust what someone at a Sherwin Williams store when it comes to paint. They usually aren't like the guys at Home Depot that had a 2 hour "training session" on paint and now they're an "expert".

The odor of the oil based vs latex is night and day. They are still operating on the lower level. When we used the oil based we had a bunch of people complaining about the smell downstairs.

That and latex is a hell of a lot easier to clean up. Sherwin Williams guy said using a latex over the oil primer should not be an issue!

·
Registered
44 Posts
Yep, I'll give you that, the oil based definitely smells worse than the latex. I agree that you "can" use latex over the oil based primer, I've just found in the past that oil based paint was more durable. Since people will be walking on it you'll want the most durable you can find. What about epoxy paint? Did they have any thoughts on whether or not it might hold up better to the foot traffic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmas /forum/post/15579178

The odor of the oil based vs latex is night and day. They are still operating on the lower level. When we used the oil based we had a bunch of people complaining about the smell downstairs.

That and latex is a hell of a lot easier to clean up. Sherwin Williams guy said using a latex over the oil primer should not be an issue!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts