AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an X1 and am using a piece of 45 x 80 drywall painted flat white and am happy with the results. How much money do I have to spend on a screen to make the picture noticeablly better? Can someone recommend a good/better/best screen for the X1? Please give approx. pricing as well. Can be a pulldown or fixed screen. Thanks.

Slinger

·
Registered
3,282 Posts
I know some people that have just painted there walls are are doing fine.

Try either Glidden Evermore Paint

"Misty Evening"

It's a flat latex for exterior Masonry and Stucco from home depot

or

Valspar Gray Plank (Lowes)interior flat paint

Or

The label on the Home Depot Behr paint reads as follows:

COLORANT OZ 48 96

THALO GREEN 0 3 1

THALO BLUE 0 7 0

BROWN OXIDE 0 11 1

OR

Most people are making there own screens with the following:

1) Blackout Cloth that can be found at Joanne Fabric and other places example http://www.reiffer.ca/screen/

2) Parkland Plastic Example: http://www.rongeyer.com/Theater/index.10.html

3) Some people just use there wall.... http://gallery.avsforum.com/showpho...rt=1&thecat=500

and some use some of the paint colors listed above on the Blackout cloth or parkland plastic...most can be done for under $100...even less...

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I was using drywall screwed and spackled onto a wooden frame. But I was unhappy with the results, VERY hard to get it completely flat and without any bevels (which are put into every piece of drywall on the left and right to accomodate for screws and tape).

So I tore the drywall off the wooden frame, bought some blackout cloth for $25, stretched it on, stapled it and am VERY happy with the results. No i'm going to paint it with Ddog's formula -- which -- if you haven't investigated, do so. It's the best DIY screen formula available. Even better than 'goo.'

So my recommendation is: make yourself a wooden frame out of 1x4's (probalby around $30-$40 total) and get some blackout cloth (4 yards for about $25) and staple it on ($20 for a staple gun with staples). Then paint the Ddog mixture on it (which will cost around $50 total)

Total for a screen that's better than FireHawk and goo -- about $140

·
Registered
7,140 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Joe Przybylski

So my recommendation is: make yourself a wooden frame out of 1x4's (probalby around $30-$40 total) and get some blackout cloth (4 yards for about $25) and staple it on ($20 for a staple gun with staples). Then paint the Ddog mixture on it (which will cost around $50 total)

Total for a screen that's better than FireHawk and goo -- about $140
That's quite a claim. As a DIYr I'm keenly interested in making a better screen. I, like others reading this, am confused. Help us out. Were you able to compare these three solutions? Or, have you seen side by side camparison photos? Which projector technology favors ddog's solution best? But mostly, if this is so much the better, why have you not opted to paint your black out cloth? ddog may have the best solution and forum members need to know and know why. Best regards and please respond.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.