AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received my Infocus 4805 a few weeks ago. I've been reading every thread on here I can. I'd like to have a 96" painted screen. We are sitting about 14' back.

I took a lot of the advice of the forum. I laid-out my 96" screen and first painted it with 2 coats of Kilz2 paint. I then used 2 coats of Behr Silverscreen. 2 coats took the entire quart, does that sound right?

My first reaction was that the blacks and colors were awesome, but my wife thought it was a bit too dark and looked muddy. Note, I did not calibrate with Avia at this point. I was unhappy with some of the wet sanding I had done as well as I had burned a few spots, making them TOO smooth, resulting in hot spots.

So, I decided to try UPW the extreme opposite of SS. The UPW really brightened things up, but now I'm afraid it's too bright and I've lost some of the color depth. Things look a little washed-out. So, on one end they seem to look muddy, and another end washed out.

I have a bit of ambient light in the room, but will ultimately control that with blackout curtains.

What to do? I'm not interested in the MM because of the many steps int he application. I want a single-step, or 2-step application at most. Any 4805 owners out there with a similar setup that can comment on what they used for painted screen?

Brian

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
If you have used just a FLAT upw and you feel your image is too bright or washed out then your next step should be to learn some adjustments and do some calibrations on your projector. Your room treatments will have a huge effect on your image as well .

what sheen did you use with your ss screen or your upw screen

Bruce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce can
If you have used just a FLAT upw and you feel your image is too bright or washed out then your next step should be to learn some adjustments and do some calibrations on your projector. Your room treatments will have a huge effect on your image as well .

what sheen did you use with your ss screen or your upw screen

Bruce

I used flat on both.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Bacchus

If you had hot spots on a flat finish then you might have your projector's output set too high .

A rolled flat finish is as dull a finish as you want to have for a screen surface

Bruce

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce can
Bacchus

If you had hot spots on a flat finish then you might have your projector's output set too high .

A rolled flat finish is as dull a finish as you want to have for a screen surface

Bruce
I had hot spots because I sanded it so smooth that it seemed glossy. I may have burned through to the level below.

·
Registered
7,004 Posts
I did not wet sand when I painted my MDF screen with UPW eggshell. I used a "very fine" sanding sponge between coats of primer and paint. And you only need VERY light pressure when sanding. Sanding really isn't the proper term. Sanding sounds like you need to remove finish, which you don't want to do. You just want to smooth out any imperfections.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I'd roll another coat of UPW and leave it alone. Then get the light controlled and boarder the screen with some sort of black trim and darken up any surrounding surfaces if possible; I used black felt. Then let the paint cure for a couple of weeks; the brightness will dull slightly. Jim McC described the sanding very well; I just wouldn't bother with it unless you see it is necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.