AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Guys:

I am exploring different options for the screen. During search I come across this site http://www.projectorcentral.com/paint_perfect_screen_100.htm?page=Finding-the-Perfect-Paint. I am wondering since this article was written in 2011, if it is still relevant and the paint color and sheen is still valid with HC2100. My room is dark in the basement with no windows. Currently, I have a dark grey paint on the drywall that results in dull colours. should I try this SW colour with Satin or should it be flat or eggshell. Or totally different brand and colour tone. As a test I tried medium tone of grey on the board and compared with dark grey what I have, I liked the light grey better than dark grey and wondering if white will give me even better picture quality.

I have Epson HC2100 with intended screen size 120 inch diagonally and seating at 12ft away. Thanks for your input.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,005 Posts
No....you should not use Satin. The suggested use of such was wrong then and remains wrong now.

The use of a lighter neutral Grey Tint in a Interior FLAT Enamel (most Primer/Paint combos qualify) would be best. White will of course result in the brightest image, but will do nothing to enrich-en your Colors or deepen Blacks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply. I will get the lighter neutral Grey paint. Just curious, I saw one post where they recommended some form of Metallic paint can you tell under what condition a Metallic paint would be appropriate.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,005 Posts
Wow...now the Thread is loading correctly!

(copied from PM)

You didn't mention where your saw the Thread than mentioned metallic use.

Metallic use can help retain gain when darker mixes are used....it can increase image sharpness as well as markedly improve the quality of Blacks and enrichen Colors.

But...you gotta choose the right Paint Mix that uses the right ingredients in the right ratios...and it helps to be able to custom tailor the mix to your needs (Room / PJ performance / Scree size)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks MississippiMan for your response. I went to Home Depot and asked for lighter neutral grey. The person showed me CIL Universal Grey 00NN 62/000 and asked two questions which I wasn’t sure:

1) Suggested me to use Behr base paint rather than CIL premium, Behr is about $8 expensive not a big deal but I am worry about if it will change the composition etc.

2) Asked for lighter grey what % of Universal Grey 00NN 62/000 tint (50%, 75% or as is)

I was reading this where in the discussion metallic paint was discussed....http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...asy-paint-mix-bright-projector-dark-room.html

Maybe this option isnot suitable in my circumstances....

Thanks again.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,005 Posts
Thanks MississippiMan for your response. I went to Home Depot and asked for lighter neutral grey. The person showed me CIL Universal Grey 00NN 62/000 and asked two questions which I wasn’t sure:

1) Suggested me to use Behr base paint rather than CIL premium, Behr is about $8 expensive not a big deal but I am worry about if it will change the composition etc.
I myself do not / have never used CIL paint. I personally use (...and recommend...) Glidden Diamond Interior Flat Enamel. Tested to be 1.2 gain, when applied via a sprayer it's the best choice I have discovered. You would ask fo "Base 1 with Universal Grey...which BTW should be the only tint to consider.

2) Asked for lighter grey what % of Universal Grey 00NN 62/000 tint (50%, 75% or as is)
As is...no need to mess with it, it will look splendid with the HC2100 at 120" diag.

I assume your Throw is no more than the midway point for the 120"er (15'-7") 13.7 would be better still.

I was reading this where in the discussion metallic paint was discussed....http://www.avsforum.com/forum/110-d...asy-paint-mix-bright-projector-dark-room.html

Maybe this option is not suitable in my circumstances....

Thanks again.
At this point I say that if you really want optimal performance, then a mix with added components (Metallic-s & Polyurethane would certainly do that. If 3D watching is even a remote possibility, the absolutely so.

Other factors my weigh in as well. Wanting to run the PJ in Low Lamp mode as much as possible. The desire to achieve the very best Blacks & Color performance possible. (hungry eye syndrome) The ability to spray and having a smooth surface on which to do so.

Lastly, the wherewithal (ie: cash) to spend a bit more on paint and the willingness to make the effort to get there.

If the answer to most / all of the last 4 sentences is yes...the yeah...let's talk "Metallic". Otherwise, the Glidden Diamond w/Universal Grey Tint will still make you pleasantly satisfied.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Great thanks for the help I will go with Glidden Diamond w/Universal Grey Tint at this time....

Home Depot and other places closer to me doesn't carry Glidden brand here in Canada, can I use Behr Premium for that purpose.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,005 Posts
Great thanks for the help I will go with Glidden Diamond w/Universal Grey Tint at this time....

Home Depot and other places closer to me doesn't carry Glidden brand here in Canada, can I use Behr Premium for that purpose.

Sorry for the delayed response, I did not see the "Edit" that asked a question.

Behr Premium Pimer / Paint is OK. I believe they have it in a specifically designated "Interior Flat Enamel" as well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts