AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an old Draper screen for $20. (long story, but a great deal for me)

It's a 96" wide 4:3, but it was used in a smoky room, and in addition to the now yellow tint, has some black marks. The casing is also a little damaged, and the bottom bar isn't heavy enough to flatten the screen itself. (little wavy)

So I'm thinking about laying it over some foam board cut to size (16:9) and painting it. But I don't know how well paint sticks to an actual screen material. Goggle searches suggest its PVC. Any thoughts? I'm pretty happy with the color of the Behr Silverscreen, though since I've upgraded to the brighter InFocus X3, I was going to have the guys at Home Depot put a little extra black in it. Fine nap roller for the paint job, should I sand between coats?

Or would I be better off to just use some black out cloth? My biggest issue is size, I'm wanting to go ~ 100"x56", making it difficult to find sheet material local and cheap.

·
Registered
4,054 Posts
Try some oxy clean and see if you can get the smoke stains out of it, I had a projector screen that had faded with smoke residue and oxy clean really made it look new. Lou

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Like minds think alike.....

Yeah the oxy mix I used this morning really whitened it up, the only issue is that white isn't the best option for this projector. It's DLP and looks MUCH better on a gray screen. I'm shooting it at the Behr Silverscreen now, and holding the white screen up to it I can see just how much the gray is helping with contrast. I was even going to go a little darker with the next color.

Edit: Something I just realized, this is a 96"x96", not a 96" wide 4:3. No idea why they would have made it square.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Cut that baby down to 54 x 96 and enjoy :) DLP's generally have better contrast than LCD's so I'm suprised white would not look good....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.