AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried painting acoustic ceiling tiles and/or CeilingMAX PVC grid? If so, how successful were you, and what method did you use? I have a high capacity sprayer, so would it be best to just put the whole thing up, then spray it? Or should I spray the tiles first to get them completely covered, then spray them again once their in place to paind the grid?

As always, thanks!

Eric.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I painted the acoustic ceiling tiles in my HT with flat black latex from Lowes. I took them outside and laid them out on dropcloths and painted them with a deep nap roller, for rough textures. I think a sprayer could have worked well also, there would have be a lot of overspray to get all the edges if you have tiles with some edge reveal on them.

I haven't painted the grid yet. I tried covering it with black tape, several different kinds including wide electrical and black duct tape. None of them looked right, so I'm going to go for the paint.

I had to do some touch up after installing the tiles, which I will likely have to take down again to paint the grid. I put them up with the plan of taping the grid, but since that hasn't panned out, looks like I'll have to redo the install.

I don't think painting in place will work too well. I think it will permanently glue the tiles into the grid. If you do break them loose there will be white spots requiring touch up.

Replacing the ceiling tiles with new pre-finished black ones is an option too.

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
I ordered black tiles from Home Depot for approx $20/box.

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
I would go for ordering Black tiles as well. I bought the USG Radar Climaplus in Black. In painting the tiles, it will be difficult to cover all the nooks and crannies. And, you will see different shades when viewed from different angles, depending on the light source. Go into a restaurant that has painted tiles and view them from different angles. Finally, painting the tiles will affect the NRC and acoustical properties of the tile itself.

As for the grid, CeilingMax has a partner group called gridmax, www.gridmax.com that makes colored covers for the rails. Ceilingmax sent me some samples, and they simply slide over the existing rails. Seemed a suitable solution, although I ultimately opted for black grid. I believe Lowes is carrying the gridmax product as in the sample that Ceilingmax sent me was a Lowes flyer.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did you get your black grid from ceilingmax or is it a traditional grid?

·
Registered
3,991 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eameres
Did you get your black grid from ceilingmax or is it a traditional grid?
Traditional grid. I lucked out and found a local office interior design group that carried black grid on the shelf, and I was able to buy it by the piece. Lowes or HD could order the stuff, but only by the case. I wasn't interested in ordering a case of 48, 12' mains :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
In finishing my basement I purchased black tiles (for the HT) and white tiles (for the rest) from USG. I can't recall the model but they were heavy. I used ceiling max and spray painted it flat black before installing it, then did some touch up where it had chipped off installing the tiles. I am quite happy with the results.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.