AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just decided on the Pioneer 106S DVD-Rom drive for my HTPC. The problem is that in my country I can only get my hands on a unit with the standard white face.

Because I'm wanting to install this baby into a black HTPC case, I need to somehow paint the face black.

Problem is, I've never done this before and I've got NO idea how to do this.

Immediate questions are....

1) What kind of paint to use (enamel or acrylic)

2) How should the paint be applied (brush, sprayed)

3) Any special things I need to watch out for?

I've heard that enamel spray-paint and plastic things don't mix particularly well, but I don't know for sure.

I'm hoping some old-hand DIYer would be willing to give me a few pointers and set me on the right path.

Can anyone help?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
:) PlastiKote Vinyl Dye my friend, vinyl dye :)

Best Stuff I have ever used, limited on colors but it absorbs in to the plastic so that you get a nice even coat and symbols on the drive dont dissapear in to a mess of paint. Even after a few layers :)

Hope you can get that stuff in your area it can be found at most automotive stores here

·
Registered
535 Posts
Lightly sand the surface just to rough it up a little. Remove all buttons and block the holes with masking tape. Several coats of paint may cause your buttons not to fit properly so try to do a good job with the tape. I honestly can't remember weather I use enamel or acrylic but I have used both. I'm not at home right now or I would be able to tell you which one but I do know that I use which ever one dries to the touch faster. Most black cases are a closer match to flat black paint but you can use semi gloss and it will still look ok. If I was painting a case I would be sanding in between coats but I don't find this necessary for faceplates if you do a good job. Try and spray in the same direction, I usually go from left to right and start spraying several inches before I reach the object I am are painting as sometimes the spray can will spit when you first depress it. On a faceplate I use 2-3 coats max so don't worry if the first coat is thin. You don't want it too thick or it will run. If you screw it up just let it dry, sand it off and start again. I also like to wait a couple of days before I install it on the drive just to make sure it is totally dry underneath. I like the idea of the dye mentioned above and I will also try this if I can get some. Good luck with your painting and if you have any more questions just ask.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
CO1: Man you realllllllly have to try this stuff. It is great on anything plastic! No sanding, or preping needed (unless your drive is dirty or dusty then just clean it)

You can do multiple coats and it will not pile up like spray paint does.

It doesnt work so well on metal though so dont bother with metal. It tends to flake off after a while in little bits (because it cant absorb in to the metal as opposed to plastic). But if you have a whole lot of plastic parts to do it works wonders. I spray painted the metal parts on mine, and used black vinyl dye on all the plastic (bezel, drives, buttons etc) and it looks great.

When I get my HTPC case for x-mas I'm going to vinyl dye the drives to match.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks heaps guys!!

I don't know whether I can get my hands on that particular make, but it sounds like the vinyl dye is the way to go. I'm guessing my best bet is to go to an automotive paint shop right?

·
Registered
988 Posts
You can remove the front panel pretty easily. I did that, spray painted it and the cover on the drawer (which is also removeable). Then used a brush to paint the volume control wheel. Looks just fine.

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
roscoe please, please I beg you look for vinyl dye first before you spray paint it will be well worth it! try it on a old piece of plastic first or something...... but trust me the results are greatand it is extremely easy to do!! Comes out very professional looking almost no matter what you do to it!

I spray painted one of my drives and the details on it like the DVD symbol were not as noticeable from only two coats of paint. Also on the button to eject the drawer, the paint has worn away! And only from a few months of useage. My vinyl dyed case however has not had a single problem at all after one year!!!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
"PlastiKote Vinyl Dye my friend, vinyl dye"

Absolutely! Works like a charm and can be found at your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey nintari, stoli,.....we get the message,......o.k? :D

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Hi guys,

I plan on using PlastiKote vinyl dye on my slot-loading 106S, but was curious how to deal with the black material that covers the slot. I wouldn't think I should spray the bezel with it attached... But it looks like if I want to remove it, I will have to break off little 'tabs' that keep it on - and I am afraid it will not stay in place if I do that...

Any advice on what to do?

Thanks,

Leo

·
Registered
376 Posts
Also,

I went by Pep Boys and noticed they had two different types of black Plasti-Kote... normal 'black' also, they had 'Flat Black' -- Anyone know which one works better? I don't want the cover to be too matte... but I don't want it to be 'glossy.'

I would stay away from 'black' if it was called 'glossy black' - but since its just called 'black' - I am not sure which one to use.

Thanks,

Leo

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.