AVS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am painting my theater next week and we are doing Purple and Black. I was wondering how important it is to paint the screen wall black as opposed to just painting it the dark purple color. I think I need to throw the black up there as well but I just wanted to check in and make sure. We are priming everything tomorrow so I just want to be ready when the inlaws show up so I can tell them what to do.

Thanks

Rahimlee54

·
Registered
4,939 Posts
In my opinion and you could take that for what it's worth, if you go with a dark flat purple you should be ok.

I painted my ceiling a color called blue coal from lowes. It is actually in the purple category when we picked it out just extremly dark like a midnight blue. I had some friends over for the superbowl and they though it was black until I pointed out it was actually a dark blue. Even with the lights raised it is still very dark.

If your going with Satin it could be too reflective. The downside on flat is that it easily mars from even a simple touch. Although lowes offers a flat enamel which is supposedly scrubabble. Unfortunately I tried to get some for my trim but becuase it used a blue base they could only give me satin or gloss. Went with the satin, good luck.

FYI you could see pics of the ceiling in the thread below.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is all flat I had the wife repick because her original color only came in satin. I'll check yours out for info thanks.

Rahimlee54

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
Have a look at my theater it's purple and black with a purple ceiling. If you find a color you like you can take it Sherman Williams or other places to have it matched. Usually you can get it in any finish you want. Well at a real paint store.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Kellogg /forum/post/14324066

Have a look at my theater it's purple and black with a purple ceiling. If you find a color you like you can take it Sherman Williams or other places to have it matched. Usually you can get it in any finish you want. Well at a real paint store.

Thats what we did... we found a few colors we liked in Behr, and took the samples to Sherwin Williams to be matched.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
You'll be fine with a purple screen wall.

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
The paint I used on my ceiling is ralph lauren, Home Depot tried to tell me it had to be mixed with their base etc, which made it more expensive than Pratt Lambert. I simply took a sample to the location mom and pop paint shop the rest is history. No need to pay $65+ for a gallon of paint.

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The color we went with is this , although it is darker in person. I think it will do well.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts