AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm about to get an ae700u. I would like to take the DYI route to save money. I want to simply paint a board and hang it on the wall. My question is what type of board would work, and what would be a good paint (one that I wouldn't have to mix)?

PS: The room is not ideal theater conditions. All the walls are light colors, but the room can be completely blacked out. I'll be projecting onto a 100" widescreen from about 16ft away.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,649 Posts
get a piece of 54" x 96" Drywall at Home Depot.

Cut it down to 93" x 54"

You'll have your 100" diagonal, and approx 3' of boarder on which to hang/glue, or nail a Blackout Trim (Black Velvet if your wise).

Prime that puppy with a bright Gloss primer. Two coats using a 3/8" nap roller. A new roller for each coat.

Get a quart Behr SilverScreen paint ($10.00 bucks) from Home Depot. Use at least 2 more 3/8" nap rollers for each light coating of SS. If texture is apparent at that point, lightly sand it down evenly, and use a 1/4" nap roller on a 3rd coat to acheive a ultra smooth finish coat.

Ahhhhh... mass quality for less money.....,

You will enjoy it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply, but I have some questions. How heavy is drywall? Has anyone here ever tried gatorfoam board?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boskier
Thanks for the reply, but I have some questions. How heavy is drywall? Has anyone here ever tried gatorfoam board?

Not as heavy a MDF, that's fer sure. If you wany light, and have more cash, Parkland Polywall is a good choice. http://www.parklandplastics.com

When you need or go beyond 4' x 8' sheets of anything, you have less options.

Gator Board is a valid option for many. Do some AVS searches on the terminologies your interested in and you'll find plenty to digest.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Gatorfoam board is not an option for me. I just found out that no one near me sells it. If I went with Parkland Polywall, would I have to use a bright gloss primer, or could I just use the Behr SilverScreen paint?

I really think that a 4'x8' would work well for me. If I'm not mistaken, that's just barely under a 100" diagonal.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,649 Posts
Parkland is still somewhat translucent. Painting the back of the parkland would hep prevent the loss of light absorbed, but still, light would penetrate the SS and be absorbed to some extent.

Painting the front surface first with a couple of light coats of the Gloss would work to prevent ANY absorbtion, and help the SS shine a bit brighter. Too much shine at the end? Add another thin coat of SS to further attenuate the reflective qualities of the screen.

Lastly, I really think you could get by Ok with the Gloss only on the back of the Parkland. The 700 will show good contrast in any case on raw pParkland. You should try that first, it could not hurt. You could always either flip it over and paint SS over it, or do so on the otherside. Hell, you could play around like a crazy man and not spend anything more than your time.

·
Registered
487 Posts
MississippiMan....you've always recommended a 3/8" nap roller for the first two coats, and a 1/4" nap for the final coat. If thin coats are a good thing why not a 1/4" nap for all coats? Do you think a 1/8" nap might even be better ( not something home depot carries )? I like that advice of a new roller for each coat. Maybe, just maybe wrapping the roller in plastic between the first and second is doable, but I can certainly attest to bringing out a brand new roller for the final coat..what a disaster.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,649 Posts
Using a 1/4" nap roller all the way through would consign one's self to having to apply twice as many "Thin" coats as usual. Many can use a 1/2" nap roller, apply plenty of paint, and never leave a roller mark or create much texture. Most newbees cannot.

But the real reason is that by using a low nap roller, one is more assured of NOT putting so much paint up so quickly that they exceed the reccomended thickness of paint needed to utilize the "Layered" effect in SM/MMud and Light Fusion Applications. That the use of such worked so well in that manner only made it all the more sensible to reccomend it for every "Screen Job" because it helps prevent texture.

I chuckle at the memory of discussions that were posted, some rather vehemently, on the old "Screens" thread, about how Texture could be benifical. "Pigskin" screen surfaces and all that. "Scattering" of light to reduce Hot Spotting and such. Getting enough people to try it the "Smooth way" put those silly notions to rest, although you still have those who have to ask which side of a Parkland sheet to use. :rolleyes:

But that's a newbee for you, and as such, they must be guided, or left to their own devices. With so much potential for good results waiting for those who "Do it right the first time", consigning a Newbee to the "Laws of chance", is just plain cruel if they bother to post up a querie.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol!!! As you probably already know, I'm a newbee. So let me ask even though I haven't gotten it yet, what side of the parkland do you use? And another question, where can I get parkland?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
24,649 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by boskier
Lol!!! As you probably already know, I'm a newbee. So let me ask even though I haven't gotten it yet, what side of the parkland do you use? And another question, where can I get parkland?

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: smooth side :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

;) :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I checked the Lowes website to see if they carry Parkland in the stores in my area (there are 3 stores), and the search for Parkland came up with no results. Should I consider this reliable, or go look at Lowes anyway?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.