AVS Forum banner

81 - 100 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Awwww sheesh. :eek::mad::(

...your "50% better in the dark" statement / evaluation really flies in the face of some remarks made by a few who state that no Ambient Light "Gray" Screen can...or would outperform a Matte White surface in true controlled lighting.
My room is not perfectly light controlled, so even at night I have light issues...primarily due to projector light bouncing off the screen onto light colored walls and back onto the screen to wash out the blacks. I can't comment on other white screens but mine was easily washed out from reflected light. The 4.0 (approx.) dark SF looked way better than the matte white screen during the day and just got better as the evening set in. Also, I only had the screen up for 24 hrs. before it came unglued so any improvement from "curing" was yet to happen. I watched the Bills/Steelers game 2 hours after I finished painting it. After the game I played a number of my films that I consider eye candy and was impressed.

P.S. Mississippi Man, there is one film you probably have never heard of that is a challenging test for any home theater set up. It is called Appleseed Alpha. The opening scene takes place in a subway and is very dimly lit...a very low contrast I played this on my "new screen" and while not perfect it was substantially better than my white screen. If you ever want to truly test SF, try that opening scene. As the subway train comes toward the viewer there is a door on the left. Check to see how many details you can make out of that door. On my white screen, no matter how much I adjusted my projector (Panasonic AX200U) that door was just a gray blob. On the SF screen I could actually make out some details.

To me, the test of a great screen/projector is not how it works with highly saturated or bright films like Finding Nemo or The Incredibles, it is how it handles shadow details such as the one I mention.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Thinking about trying my hand at a few SF tests here in the next week or so. Just need to track down one more unicorns horn for extra gain and I should just about have everything on the list (jk). Not too thrilled with the idea of buying another paint gun since I already have 2 pneumatic HVLP guns for car painting as well as an air brush. Could any of these be used for SF? Or should I just try it out and see how it goes, does anyone have any experience (good or bad) painting SF with pneumatic guns?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
If you have a complete HVLP Rig for Painting cars, including a Water/Rust Filter - Dryer - and lots of constant air pressure (...and a maximum size of 1.5 mm needle 1.0 preferred ) then your all set. I have such a Rig myself. It has sat unused for over 7 years now...except the 35 Gallon 5.5 HP compressor, which I use for Impact Wrenches and pumping up Tires.

I have two great Ingersol Rand HVLP Guns sitting around collecting dust. (hint) ;)

I painted with Air powered HVLP for almost 2 years before discovering the Wagner. I used undiluted paint then that required a 2.2 mm Needle, and it took a full 3.5 - 4 min to spray a 120" screen, so I often had issues with a drop off in air pressure....and my finishes has a distinctly "dusty/sand-papery feel. (...and the occasional Rust Flake or Fish Eye spot always sent me stompin' around... :mad: ) Also, thicker coats took an insufferably long time to dry, and stayed wet enough for so long I dared not risk using a Fan and splatter dust and hair up onto the screen. Instead I would raise room Temps to 85 or so to hasten drying. A real PITA.

Then a veritable Angel of a Car Painter suggested I thin the Latex Paint with water and drop down to a 1.5 mm tip. That seemed counter productive to me but I gave it a go and ........love was in the air. (...and less paint too...) My finishes were ultra smooth and my flow rate increased by 2x. Also, by employing the rapid Duster Coat method, the spray-on coating times dropped to 1 minute or less, and drying times were reduced by 1/2 or less. Often under 25 minutes....and I could use a fan almost immediately to help it dry quicker.

But once I could ditch that 100 lb Compressor, all the Hoses and accessories, and just waltz in a place with my trusty Electric HVLP and a Can of paint, I never looked back at that Big 'ol HVLP Rig again.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ok got one of my screens painted with silver fire last night. Its my first time working with it and I'm very impressed with how my test boards turned out but on my screen, the texture of the paint took on pretty much the exact same texture the screen was when it was white. It doesn't look like any of the examples I've seen on this forum. I did end up using the smaller of the two pneumatic hvlp guns, I couldn't find the needle size anywhere in its manual but similar guns I did find almost always use from .8mm-1.0mm needles. I painted roughly 6-7 coats (with the last coat being extra thick to try and recreate the texture shown). Do you guys suggest stepping up to the bigger gun (1.4mm I believe) or do you think this is ok based on the fact that the texture of the screen looked almost identical to this before I started painting?

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Can anyone link me a mixture for my projector, I just bought a LG PF1000u Super Short throw please give me a suggestion thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Can anyone link me a mixture for my projector, I just bought a LG PF1000u Super Short throw please give me a suggestion thanks
Hi rjan,

Your new, so Welcome to the Forum!

I'll PM you with some questions for you to answer, then please re-post anything pertinent on a dedicated Thread of your own.

MMan

·
Registered
129 Posts
reviving this thread for a few questions. how far is the projector lens from the screen, and what do think the screen gain is after the SF?

great work as always. I'm about to embark on a similar setup. I can go one of two ways. i can use a ST PJ and mount it up to 3.5 feet, or go back to 8-12 feet. theres a fan in the center of the room so i have a 5 foot gap where i can put a PJ.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
reviving this thread for a few questions. how far is the projector lens from the screen, and what do think the screen gain is after the SF?

great work as always. I'm about to embark on a similar setup. I can go one of two ways. i can use a ST PJ and mount it up to 3.5 feet, or go back to 8-12 feet. theres a fan in the center of the room so i have a 5 foot gap where i can put a PJ.
The image shown is from 3'-11" for a 106" screen.

3.5' (3'-6") would...with the PJ shown, deliver a 96" diagonal 16:9 image.

Gain on this SF v.2.5 5.0 was approx 0.9
(Thread was titled as the SF mix being a 4.0 but I darkened it slightly more...)

What are your PJ choices and desired screen size?

·
Registered
129 Posts
i looked for that exact PJ and its discontinued. I've looked at similar viewsonic ones. I've also looked at a few epson, benq, and optomas. i prefer a 1080 3D under $1000. any suggestions? i have no experience with PJs. i noticed you had an optima for sale. it will be used for movies, digital cable, and gaming.

the projector lens will be 12-12.5 feet from the screen, ceiling mounted. its going in a room with no windows, minimal ambient lighting coming from a few cans in the ceiling, none near where the screen will go, with a seating distance of 9-12 ft. i plan on getting an electric elite 110" screen and painting it with the SF, it will be rolled up most of the time, so I'm worried about the paint "sticking". will the SF be okay leaving it rolled up for long periods of time?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #91
Yes it will be OK. One only needs to leave the Screen down for a couple of days to cure out...or a little longer if drying conditions are less than optimal.

I'll contact you later today about the Optoma I have listed in the Classifieds

·
Registered
9 Posts
Is there a short throw PJ that could achieve similar results on a 120" screen? My room is similar to the one in the thread--light walls, non-dedicated space, shiny floors (although I can put a rug down). I think I want 1080p, although after seeing your screen shots I'm not sure I need it.

Thank you for all of the knowledge you've shared. I've been pouring over your posts the last few days and they've made the idea of painting my own screen much less intimidating.

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
Is there a short throw PJ that could achieve similar results on a 120" screen? My room is similar to the one in the thread--light walls, non-dedicated space, shiny floors (although I can put a rug down). I think I want 1080p, although after seeing your screen shots I'm not sure I need it.
1080p w/good contrast would be preferred. In the example shown in this Thread, I had to absolutely minimize Throw distance, and at the time, a 1280x800 PJ was the only thing available that fit those requirements.

I mitigated the lessor performance characteristics by also installing a Darbee 5000, and of course I was sending a 1080p signal which the PJ accepted and scaled to it's resolution.

The Optoma GT1080 (1080p) can do 120" diagonal @ 4'-4" with a 9" Image Offset (Lens is 9" above the top edge of the screen)

The BenQ HT2150ST is a less adaptable choice.
1080p 120" diagonal @ 6'- 2" -but- the Lens must be just 1" above the Top of the Screen. Pooh.

The Viewsonic PDJ5553 is a 1280x800 Short Throw
120" diagonal 16:9 @ 4'-3" w/ 7" Image Offset
Crazy Long Lamp Life for a 3200 Lumen beamer
5000 hrs on Full Lamp - 10,000 hrs on Econo.
Probably a "best choice" if the primary use will be TV watching. And it's inexpensive...so get a Darbee 5000!

If you want a 1080p "Short-Short" Throw, things become more difficult to find, and more expensive. Optoma has a 1080p GT5500 UST that is an excellent PJ, but it comes with a 100" screen limitation.

Thank you for all of the knowledge you've shared. I've been pouring over your posts the last few days and they've made the idea of painting my own screen much less intimidating.
That is the idea. While I've been doing it for quite some time and repetition does count for something , my own experience combined with the latest Electric HVLP guns and current Paint Mixes have gone on to show that it's "Cave Man" easy to do. :cool:

·
Registered
713 Posts
How do you paint the screen? Just take a brush or is it spray can? I am getting a screen that is just matte white and this seems interesting

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
How do you paint the screen? Just take a brush or is it spray can? I am getting a screen that is just matte white and this seems interesting
I use what is called a Electric HVLP (High Volume / Low Pressure) Spray Gun.

A preferred Model is the Earlex HV2901 or the Earlex HV3500, both being equipped with an aux. 1.0 mm Needle Kit.

Brush? Not a Chance.....
Spray Can? ROTFLMAO :p
(...I couldn't resist....sorry. ;) )

The value in spending some extra for a HVLP Gun is twofold:

• You can easily apply a ultra smooth finish, perfect for High Resolution imagery
  • Choose the right Gun and it can do so many other things around the House / shop as well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yea i figured it was something like that ... but I have no place to do it right now .. something to think about thanks

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
Yea i figured it was something like that ... but I have no place to do it right now .. something to think about thanks
Dude....I spray Screens right in Living Rooms and Theaters chock full of furniture that often costs more than the Car I drive! It's really easy....it's done and over with in about 3 Hours total time, and I cannot stress the easiness enough. You can cover the entire World (room) with thin, inexpensive Plastic Sheeting and spray without any worries whatsoever. (...look back at the beginning of this thread...)

Also, many have done the spray painting in a Garage, let the screen cure a couple days, rolled it up and took it back inside.

Where there is a will, there certainly are effective ways to get'ter dun. :cool:

Hey...maybe a few members will attest to that and give this Guy some confidence?

·
DIY Granddad (w/help)
23,515 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
I'm getting more than a few requests for re-purposing Retractable MFG Screens with High Contrast / ALR-oriented Paint. (...nothing like a "Stay-At-Home" order to encourage DIY'ism.)

So here is a Bump so that this thread isn't buried too far back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm getting more than a few requests for re-purposing Retractable MFG Screens with High Contrast / ALR-oriented Paint. (...nothing like a "Stay-At-Home" order to encourage DIY'ism.)

So here is a Bump so that this thread isn't buried too far back.
What was the brand of screen you used in the OP, if you remember? So many tab-tensioned screens on the market now

81 - 100 of 113 Posts