AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a white ceiling with popcorn I am planning of painting it sky blue. Has anyone tried painting a ceiling with popcorn? Any advice please? My wall is covered with red thin carpet and planning of covering it and changing the carpet after I paint the ceiling

·
Registered
268 Posts
Airless sprayer. I would remove the carpet first if you are replacing it anyway

·
Registered
1,059 Posts
I re-painted all the popcorn throughout my entire house, white. Everything from the ceiling down gets taped off so basically your in a plastic bubble with only the ceiling exposed. Spray, remove plastic and your done. I did all the leg work and my neighbor (a painter) did the painting for me.

Peace Out~:D

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
It can also be painted with a deep knap roller. You will have some of the popcorn coming off but in general it is pretty easy to do if you don't want to mess with the sprayer. Time is probably a bit faster with the roller as there is less cleanup. Take a dry deep knap roller and run it along the ceiling and see if you have a lot of popcorn coming off. If you do then you may want to go with the sprayer. If you don't then you have another option.

..Doyle

·
Registered
474 Posts
I would also suggest trying a "split-foam roller" It is specifically designed for ceiling texture. As well, be careful with latex paint if it has never been painted. The water might re-soften the texture, and in some cases, can fall right off the ceiling. To be safe, use oil paint, and keep well ventilated.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Krillin I will use the roller you mentioned I will go to home depot tommorow and look for sky blue paint specifically oil paint. Thanks for the advice of using oil paint . Still in the planning stage will start painting next week.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
I just did this with a split roller, used latex paint, "deep cave" was the color. It took me about 12 hours of rolling, spread over 4 days. Make sure you mask from the top of the wall and cover EVERYTHING with drop cloths.

It was a real mess, what with a few kernals coming off the ceiling, mostly in the split grooves of the roller, but the end result was worth it.

Still, if given a second chance, I think I would have someone with a spayer do it.

BTW, room is 24 x 17 with a 10' ceiling.

Vern

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder how much would one room cost to spray paint the ceiling ?

Anyone tried this? Im thinking of just hiring someone spray paint it. It will be saving me some hours and mess =)

·
Registered
268 Posts
99 percent of the work is in the masking/protection. If you do that part of it and can find a guy willing to do a small side job you will not spend much. You can also rent the sprayer. We own a commercial airless you can put a coat on a good size ceiling in 12 minutes. If you are considering buying a home owner type sprayer, make sure it will spray up as well as straight out

·
Registered
474 Posts
Krell,

As stated by others, spraying is the preferred method. If you still want to go the DIY route, you could look at renting an airless sprayer. It should cost you roughly $50-75 /day. Some places even have half day rates. With airless, you don't need to thin the paint. I would say plan for about no more than 200sq. ft/gal. Another suggestion is if possible, see if the paint store has a sky blue colour in a premix. Chances are they won't but if they do, the advantage is you could return any unused cans. If they do, make sure the batch numbers all match.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
A Wagner Power painter will work great. If you go this route make sure to get the 2200 PSI model. Cost is less about 80.00 and when you finish sell it on ebay and you'll have only spent about 40.00. With the sprayer, you will lose absolutely no popcorn. The roller does work as well. It's faster and actually requires less work as you can apply a heavier coat but you will lose popcorn. After you finish painting with the roller, you will likely need a small touch-up brush to catch the spots where the popcorn fell otherwise it will take much longer if you constantly re-roll the ceiling because you may create new spots.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all your help guys I will decide this weekend whether to borrow spray paint or have someone do it for me.

Another tough decision is whether to paint it sky blue or black. I have a red wall and carpet mostly red curtains and gold scones. With black if some of the popcorn fall it will look like a star =) and I can add some luminous star to look like a space.

If only my ceiling is flat not popcorn I can have someone paint it like a sky with clouds.

I just saw my friends home theater he used wallpaper (space black) he bought at spencers doesnt look very professional but looks good in the dark and very easy to install just staple it to the popcorn ceiling.

Any ideas? I will be getting my digital camera next week so I can take picuters.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just finished a new room with popcorn on the ceiling. I asked around and all the professional painters say use a roller on the first coat. The first thing that came out of my mouth was “why†they said when you use a roller the paint is laid on thicker and helps hold the popcorn on better. I didn’t ask what to do if I wanted to repaint the ceiling but I would guess using a sprayer would be ok because the first coat is already on.

·
Registered
7,289 Posts
One last thing. When you are taping, you may find it hard to maintain a straight line due to the popcorn clumping along the line where the wall meets the ceiling. Just take a putty knife or a butter knife and scrape it away so that you can have a straight line.

·
Registered
734 Posts
WHAT EVER YOU DO- do not use a glossy or semi-glossy paint, it may make the ceiling fall. I used a semigloss on a popcorn ceiling and once it dried, the whole thing came down. Semigloss and glossy paints bond into a skin-like state. Once it was "skin-like", it was too heavy. Definitely use flat.

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I would also say not to use oil base paint. If you ever decide to remove the popcorn totally and have the ceiling retextured, the oil base paint will not allow you to dampen and scrape the ceiling. I have removed a couple popcorn ceilings and the process is typically to take a garden tank sprayer with water, spray the ceiling in sections and then scrape it with a very large putty knife or scraper on a pole.

..Doyle

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for all your help. I would definitely use flat paint. I was considering hiring someone to scrape the popcorn and painting it but I decided to just hire the person to spray paint it. He is charging me $249 to paint a 14X15 ceiling and covering the carpeted wall before he paints it which will take time.

Any pictures of anyone who painted there popcorn ceiling?

I am using sky blue paint. Painting it with clouds is out of the plan =( due to the popcorn. Here is the site on how to paint walls with clouds effect...
http://tx.essortment.com/paintclouds_rsin.htm

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have painted a few popcorn ceilings. The reason people say to use oil is latex being water based starts to "breakdown" the plaster and it comes off if you roll it too much. You can use latex but be carefull not to go over the same spot too much. Oil doesn't mix with the plaster so it doesn't come off as much but it will form a "film" making removal more difficult.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.