AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm purchasing a set of Paradigm monitor 3's, and since they are a good deal larger than the atoms that I'm currently using, my wife wants me to paint the speaker cabinets to match the walls Anyways...anybody ever try this? Will it effect the sound at all?

Thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
7,822 Posts
No effect on the sound.

Major effect on the resale value.

·
Registered
3,301 Posts
Unless you are an experienced finisher...I don't recommend painting the cabinets. There are all sorts of issues here, but most important is the compatibility with what you are thinking of using to top coat with vs. what the factory finish is. The second issue is what application method you have available.

To attempt this leaves you with little reversible options.

Here another suggestion......

How about a fabric wrap?

The material can be adhered with something like 3-M 77 spray adhesive (spray can found at many home supply / hardware / and paint stores.) It's reversible because you can just peel it off, then clean the glue residue off with VM&P Naptha (also found at the same sources). VM&P Naptha will not harm the factory finish.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hadn't thought of fabric wrap....deiinitely something I'm going to look into...thanks

Jeremy

·
Registered
198 Posts
if i was going to paint some speakers cabinets (and actually, i am thinking about it), i would completly disasemble the cabinets and sand them down for prep, i would then have them sprayed by a profesional. personally i'm thinking about taking mine to an automotive company and having them painted gloss black (the same specific raven black on my 88.5 xr4ti). i guess if you wanted them to match your walls you could roll them. i would definitly put allot of effort into the prep work though.

i don't think this is a bad idea, it could end up looking very nice in your room, but i would post about this in the DIY forum and start thinking with that mentality.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.