AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to get Definitive Technology DI 5.5LCR in-wall spearkers. I am nervous about painting the grill of the speaker properly. The owner's manual says that the paint should be sprayed on rather than use a brush or roller. While that may be easy when buying a stock color the hardware store, I'm trying to get it to match a Benjamin Moore color we have on our walls.

I've been reading a bit and thinking about trying Preval , but have little confidence it will work properly. I have not found a hardware store that will make a custom color for aerosol.

Anyone in the New York City area have experience having their speaker covers professionally painted? Or a store that will make custom aerosol colors?

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Those Preval sprayers are hit and miss. Bring the paint to an auto shop. I bet they won't charge you a whole bunch to put it through their cup gun. You might even be able to find one of their guys that'll do it in his spare time for a whole lot less.

·
Registered
331 Posts
I've had no problems with PreVal so long as you get enough Flotrol mixed into the paint to think it out enough. Except yesterday, yesterday I did everything right and couldn't figure out why it was clogging and clumping so easily until I went to through the damned thing away - and noticed one of the buckets of paint said "primer in the paint". Duh, read as: 3x the sandy silicates to clog up your sprayer.

So I'm off to get a pint mixed up of the room color, this time sans included primer, and they should be all set by Friday.

·
Registered
7,760 Posts
Dilute the paint with water, probably 5:1..... Then use multiple cotton balls. Sounds tedious, it is !!

I've painted my lions share and it's a pain. Worse is if you start to clog those little holes and have to use a needle to clean them out.

Bag the spray gun idea....Good luck

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.