AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of speakers well covered in a in a silver veneer or vinyl. I've grown tired of the silver and now want black. What's a good product to use to paint them black? I would prefer a matte/semi-flat finish. I do have access to a spray booth and spray equipment.

P.S. The "Hear are the similar threads we found" suggestions were no good, THIS search was no good, and searching for the word "paint" in the thread dedicated to the particular speakers I have was a deadend as well. Please don't fill this thread with, use-the-search posts. If you can not offer assistance pleas do not post. Thank you.

· Registered
742 Posts
I'm planning something similar to a pair of vinyl covered speakers that I have, but I want to strip the vinyl off and sand the cabinets before painting. I do not trust the the glue under the vinyl to not de-laminate in a couple of years. As far as paint I cannot help you there as I have also done a search on the subject a few months ago, but with no results in this forum.

Have you searched the DIY forum?

· Registered
57 Posts
just got done painting some veneer covered speakers and they turned out great. I work at a body shop so I was able to use a paint booth and I decided to go all out and actually use primer, black car paint, and clear. It turned out really well. I would definately prime them though because you might be able to see the fake wood grain through the black paint otherwise; even after you sand them. Just make sure when you sand them that you don't break through the veneer.

Some painters at work thought that using just regular black spray paint would work well too but if you want a flawless paint job then use a spray gun. I would recommend using car paint just because I know how well mine turned out.

If you have any other questions about the process let me know.

· Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Luckily, my speakers are are a monotone silver. So there is no wood grain to fret about. The veneer seems to be on very well. Removing it from my speakers seems to be a bad idea.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.