AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a pair of replays (RTV5040, and RTV5060) that are connected over my wired LAN. For years they have operated flawlessly seeing each other's program guide and streaming between each other with no problem... Several weeks ago they stopped seeing each other. Actually they still see each others guide, but then tell you they cant play a show across the network. I reset each unit and everything is fine for about 24 hours... Then it happens again.. I initially thought it was my network but then why after a reset it would work fine for a whole day? Also both units do "not" have any issue going out to the internet.. I've tried using the 243 Zones commands to force the units to see each other but the only thing that seems to work is resetting them (holding the power button in for 10 plus 30 seconds). BTW both replays are plugged into the same wired 10/100 switch (CISCO Workgroup switch EZXS88W) which is connected to my router (CISCO WRT54G2 Wireless G Broadband Router) Any help with diagnosing would be much appreciated....

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Both have always had static addresses... Should I change them to use DHCP with static reservation in the router?

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
You can either leave them as static or change them to DHCP, but you should definitely configure the router with reservations for the Replays. It seems like something must have changed several weeks ago and that your lease time must be something like 2 days such that your Replays are changing their addresses after 1 day. But, whatever, you should always use address reservation with static addresses...

Henry

·
Registered
42 Posts
and experienced same types of problems you described. To minimize the effect, I set the lease expiration to its maximum value, but I still would eventually have the same problem with the way it would reset (reassign) the IP addresses upon lease expiration. Now that I have Verizon FIOS which provided a wireless router, I no longer have to use my LinkSys router and no longer have problems with this. The router from Verizon renews the lease before expiration, so the IP address is not reset.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure if lease expiration is the issue since I manually setup the addresses for both replays on my network. Both systems are physically connected to the same switch and both are in the same local network... Even after they no longer can see each other they still are able to get to the internet to request a manual program guide updates and both are pingable....

·
Registered
2,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamberg /forum/post/14249646

Not sure if lease expiration is the issue since I manually setup the addresses for both replays on my network. Both systems are physically connected to the same switch and both are in the same local network... Even after they no longer can see each other they still are able to get to the internet to request a manual program guide updates and both are pingable....

You need to read up about the DHCP "bug". Even though the Replays are configured for static addressing, the operating system still requests a DHCP address, which causes the Replays to longer be seen. But, they still can get to the Internet OK, which is why they can download guide updates. The fix is to configure your router for lease reservations with the same addresses as you have the Replays configured as static...

Henry

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Henry, thank you.. I wasn't aware of the DHCP bug. Unfortunitely my router doesn't provide static reservations so I set the lease time to the maximum (9999 minutes) and matched the static addresses to the dynamic addresses assigned by the DHCP server within my router.... I will respond in two days to confirm that this was the issue. Thanks again for your help...

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
9999 minutes is less than 7 days, so you will likely have a problem in about 3-1/2 days. You're probably going to have to come up with a better solution, although as long as the lease addresses match the DHCP addresses, the problem will remain hidden...

By the way, you were the one that asked if you should setup reservations in your router, so naturally I assumed that meant that it supported them...

Henry

·
Registered
161 Posts
Another option if your router doesn't support MAC reservations is to use your PC to be your DHCP server.

If your PC is on all the time, especially if it is already on for DVArchive, WIRNS, or IVSMagic, you could run something like

DHCP Turbo by Weird Solutions
http://www.weird-solutions.com/

That is what I'm doing. It took a little to setup, but works great.

Rob

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks everyone for your comments and assistance. This was definitely getting bit by the DHCP bug... So far everything is working fine and like Henry stated I'm hoping the problem remains hidden since the DHCP addresses match the manually configured addresses I have in the Replays. I am curious about this bug. If there is a link describing it in detail please post the link. I've never encountered an IPstack that would still query for an address if a manually configured one exists....

Mike

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
From ClearToLand's Picks , here's the one about the DHCP bug: http://archive2.avsforum.com/avs-vb/...81#post4708581 ...

The probably isn't really with the stack, it's something about the way that Replay implemented static addressing. In the process they left the stack with the DHCP client running. Although, since SonicBlue was quite aware of the problem, it may have been more complicated that one might think. They had written me back in July 2004 that it was a problem with the OS:

Quote:
I'm happy to hear it's working.

I know we're looking at a software solution to what you describe, but at the

moment, I don't have an eta on when it'll be ready for release. There is at

least one software release that will occur before the network fix.

Part of the problem is that the OS beneath the ReplayTV software does its

own IP request. It doesn't pass the info properly to the RTV, so the

ReplayTV software does a second IP request.

But, obviously they never got around to fixing it...

Henry

1 - 12 of 12 Posts