AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This probably doesn't go here but I don't think those that would be interested check the classifieds here (and vice versa).

I've got a pair of Lambda TD15M's that I picked up used. I had bought 6 in total (used, from different sources) but one arrived damaged. I was going to do MTM's with them across the front but because of the one damaged (and the logistics of fitting three speakers each with two 15's in my living room) I've decided to sell one pair and use the other three across the front.

These are Lambda branded but per conversations here and at the Acoustic Elegance forum with Simon/John very (VERY) little has changed in the design since then. In fact John himself measured one of the pair for sale against a new TD15M just off the line and found that they measured comparably.

One of the cones has three small dents in it (pics available on request). I feel this is a very minor issue. The pair I'm using in my current mains uses one with worse denting and I haven't noticed any difference between the two.

Asking $350 plus shipping on other forums - AVSforum DIY speaker community price = $300 plus shipping

(based on past experience I'd assume $50 for shipping)

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Well, dammit...you are killing me

·
Registered
21,345 Posts
wow, that is a fantastic price then.

also, those little dents won't do anything to the sound and they can hardly be seen. you are just being honest though and that is cool.

i see no problem offering these drives in the diy avs forum. there are lots of folks who would never buy these at full price (simply because they don't have the coin).

who ever buys these must post their build. ;-)

mr. lennon is playing santa this year. at this price, this is a gift.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTD02 /forum/post/19646941

wow, that is a fantastic price then.

who ever buys these must post their build. ;-).

Ok, I do as I'm told. I FINALLY got the TD15Ms (one of them anyway) into the cabinets. This project has been a long time in the works, I've worked wearing a scarf and gloves in winter to wearing a shorts and not much else in the heat.

How do they sound? I don't know yet, I still have to make some measurements and do a crossover.

I've come up against a tiny little bitty problem.... the things are too heavy for me to move around by myself!

EDIT -- ok, hold on, apparently my upload to photobucket had some issues.....\\\\\\

Edit2: ok, here we go...

·
Registered
1,957 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo /forum/post/20553260

Ok, I do as I'm told. I FINALLY got the TD15Ms (one of them anyway) into the cabinets. This project has been a long time in the works, I've worked wearing a scarf and gloves in winter to wearing a shorts and not much else in the heat.

How do they sound? I don't know yet, I still have to make some measurements and do a crossover.

I've come up against a tiny little bitty problem.... the things are too heavy for me to move around by myself!

EDIT -- ok, hold on, apparently my upload to photobucket had some issues.....\\\\\\

Edit2: ok, here we go...

Looking good Bwaslo. Active or passive? Definitely post your results.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/20556461

Looking could, Bill.

Really shallow, are they meant for wall mounting?
Not on my walls, they'd collapse!

Actually the cabs aren't shallow, the shape is roughly wedge shaped (as viewed from the top). The idea is that the toe-in is included in the cabinet shape, sort of like LeJune's (as Zilch pointed out last fall). The baffle is at a 45 to the rest of the box. So the cabinets are actually quite large, but attempt to not look so big in the room... that's what I keep telling my wife, anyway

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah katz /forum/post/20556461

Looking good, Bill.

Really shallow, are they meant for wall mounting?

Not shallow....

My wife wishes they were shallower... these may end up being for sale, she expressed strong dislike for the hulkingness of them

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coctostan /forum/post/20553614

Looking good Bwaslo. Active or passive? Definitely post your results.

Passive for now. I have a miniDsp on order, will probably go with that later. Crossed over now at 750Hz, which seems to work really (and unexpectedly) well, but might be risky if volume control gets into the hands of a partyanimal. To cross higher without raising them up on stands, it would help a lot to be able to adjust delay, which the DSP should do well.

·
Registered
5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaslo /forum/post/20593393

My wife wishes they were shallower... these may end up being for sale, she expressed strong dislike for the hulkingness of them

That's too bad, because they look great in photos. In addition to being theoretically sound.

·
Registered
919 Posts

·
Registered
919 Posts
Added Geddes-style foam, readjusted crossovers, and finished the magnetically attached grills

·
Registered
5,237 Posts
What measured difference did the foam make?

What audible difference did you perceive from the foam?

Alas, few of us had an opportunity to hear a good WG with foam and without.

·
Registered
919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DS-21 /forum/post/20619444

What measured difference did the foam make?

What audible difference did you perceive from the foam?

Alas, few of us had an opportunity to hear a good WG with foam and without.

Measured difference was about 2.5dB drop starting about 6kHz (it was a lot more when I first tried it, because I accidentally smashed the point sideways in the throat!).

Audible difference SEEMS to be to remove any "horn-like" sound, but the times between listening before and after were pretty long since I had to redo the crossover to adjust for the 2.5dB drop. So take it with a grain of salt, who knows how much is just expectation. Not that it sounded bad without the foam, just different (I think).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts