AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I just ordered a pair of Stereo Integrity HT-18D2s and am looking for some advice on which way I should go from here. My room is not a dedicated theater, as it is also used as a living room. It is a semi-open layout; it is connected to the kitchen and dining room through open entries. I am attaching a rough drawing I did using paint to give you an idea. The living room is 14.5 feet wide x 21.5 feet long with 8 foot ceilings. the kitchen and dining are 14.5 feet wide as well with about 3 foot depth to the closets and about 3 foot wide in the entryways. Each level of the house is aproximately 1000 square feet and the lowe area is pretty much open except the bathroom and closet spaces.

I am planning to go with an infinite baffle design, installing a manifold into the floor somewhere at the front of the room. I have done the subwoofer crawl and a few places peaked on my Shack spl meter. There is the front right corner near the screen, around the front entry, and where the sectional curves around.

I want to get the best bang for my dollar out of these and I don't really plan to purchase anymore subs in the near future because I am going put my money towards upgrading my other speakers next. Will going with an infinite baffle be a good choice for this room with two 18s or should I go with some Marty cubes...or something else entirely?

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
11,985 Posts
IB subs have basically zero box-distortion, especially at high output, which makes them sound weaker than they actually are.

Basically it's like a sealed sub, but with 10x more efficiency and cleaner;
an IB's can play loud for longer than any other box design without melting (with the exception of perhaps horns above tune).

Out of all the designs, sealed subs are the hardest to bottom out (most restrictive); an IB is one of the easiest to bottom out (zero box resistance).
If you want to reach below 10hz IB is the best option. The other advantage is that it takes up no room space.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was reading on the IB FAQ and it's mentioned that the best place to locate the IB sub was front and center. Will placing a IB in the floor venting just below the center channel cause any negative interactions with the audio coming from the center channel?

I am already getting some negative interactions with the wife about cutting a hole in the floor:eek:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts