AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Yeah, I know. Different world. Trying to mate these two and not doing a very good job.

I just got the A-S2200 and it's unbelievably badass with my new ZU Omen DW-MKII speakers and Denafrips Ares II DAC. I use a mini computer (Core i5) and USB out to the DAC. Have XLR balanced outputs from the DAC to the A-S2200 and the sound is heaven with .flac files and lossless audio. Setting the input on the A-S2200 to "Bal". Have sub connected to pre-out on A-S2200 and the Omen DWs plus the sub ROCK the house.

I do have a Samsung 82" UHD 4K, and an Apple TV 4k that I use on the V685 AV Receiver now has no speakers connected at all.

Also have a nice Polk subwoofer.

Now, of course, the speakers connected to the A-S2200. Also connected the sub to the pre-out of the A-S2200 and as long as I just played music through the DAC to the A-S2200, life was good. But you know...

So I see where Yamaha products can link together, so I try the "Pre-Out Front" from the V685 and connect it to the "Main In" of the A-S2200, and it worked (kinda) at first. There is a setting on the V685 to make it a "straight" connection - tried 2-channel stereo, etc, but same result. So when the A-S2200 is set to "Main In" the V685 takes over as volume control, etc. But from time-to-time the V865 just cuts out, just powers off. Also, a strange thing--when the V685 is hooked up and the A-S2200 set to "Main in" not only does it cut out from time to time, but the subwoofer does not work at all. Remember the sub is connected to the A-S2200 "pre-out" and works fine with just music coming from the DAC (and the A-S2200 set to "Bal" input on the front), but not at all with main-in coming from the V685 pre-out.

That can't be good. I do some reading, and you need a "trigger" cable to actually pair them for remote sync, I think, but I dunno that this will solve the issue. I have ordered several of the trigger cables as they are cheap on amazon.

The A-S2200 is an ANALOG amp and so I'm wondering if the problem is that the "pre-out" is digital on the V685?

Any advice would be appreciate. No shaming, please. Not a tech expert.

Here are some shots of each component front and back:

V685:

A-S2200:

DENAFRIPS ARES-II:

·
Registered
25 Posts
The sub is connected to the pre-out of your A-S2200. In other words, when there is a signal fed into the pre-amp of the A-S2200 it will be processed and presented on the pre-out outputs. But because yor receiver front pre-out is connected to the main-in connectors of the A-S2200, the pre-amp of the A-S2200 is bypassed. So, it isn't being fed any signal to amplify and therefore will not pass a signal to the subwoofer.
What do you mean by cutting out of the receiver? Does this happen in the middle of playing music?
Under what kind of circumstances does it happen? Have you checked if the output characteristics of the receiver are compatible with the main-in characteristics of the A-S2200?
Check the user manuals of both components.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The sub is connected to the pre-out of your A-S2200. In other words, when there is a signal fed into the pre-amp of the A-S2200 it will be processed and presented on the pre-out outputs. But because yor receiver front pre-out is connected to the main-in connectors of the A-S2200, the pre-amp of the A-S2200 is bypassed. So, it isn't being fed any signal to amplify and therefore will not pass a signal to the subwoofer.
What do you mean by cutting out of the receiver? Does this happen in the middle of playing music?
Under what kind of circumstances does it happen? Have you checked if the output characteristics of the receiver are compatible with the main-in characteristics of the A-S2200?
Check the user manuals of both components.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G965F met Tapatalk
Thanks for the reply, makes sense on the pre-out being bypassed on the A-S2200.

The receiver literally shuts down, powers off. Even at lower volumes. To be precise, I have two RCA connectors (L & R) going from the "Front Pre Out" on the V685 to the "Main in" on the A-S2200. I can power up and start watching a show and as soon as I raise volume, the V685 powers off, as though it's catching a fault. I have read the manuals as best I am able to determine compatibility and they both say all Yamaha products are compatible, and describes pre-out to main-in at one point.

Any other comments/thoughts are appreciated.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured it out! God, I'm a moron. You figure, something like this---gotta be a MORON factor or just a hardware short. Well, it was me. SO... when I took my old Polk speakers off the V685, I took the wire off at the old speakers, but left the banana plugs left in the back of the V685, and the bare wires just shoved under the cabinet. In my excitement of the new amp, the A-S2200 and the Zu Omen Audio Speakers, I had forgotten to unplug the old ****e wires and they were shorting out sitting on the ground bunched up under the rack. PROBLEM (ME) solved. Now I'm cooking with gas!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts