AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't know a whole lot about speakers but I just set up my first surround sound setup with the Energy Take Classic. I like it, but I'm interested in some better performance for music. Thinking of getting a pair of Infinity Primus P152s for the fronts and pairing them with the Energies for the center and surrounds. I don't know anything about matching except that your best bet is to go with the same brand. The thing is, I really like infinities for music. Has anyone done this? If not, are there attributes (such as similar driver material) that might indicate that they would match well?

Thanks in advance!

Energy Take Classic 5.1

Yamaha RX-V365

Samsung PN50A550

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zwilla /forum/post/17010731

Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I don't know a whole lot about speakers but I just set up my first surround sound setup with the Energy Take Classic. I like it, but I'm interested in some better performance for music. Thinking of getting a pair of Infinity Primus P152s for the fronts and pairing them with the Energies for the center and surrounds. I don't know anything about matching except that your best bet is to go with the same brand. The thing is, I really like infinities for music. Has anyone done this? If not, are there attributes (such as similar driver material) that might indicate that they would match well?

Thanks in advance!

Energy Take Classic 5.1

Yamaha RX-V365

Samsung PN50A550

Maybe someone that has done it will chime in, but . . .

the drivers are different, bottom line. MMD (metal matric diaphram tweeter and woofer vs. aluminum tweeters and poly-titanium woofers). Cabinets are different. Crossovers are going to be different. No way these speakers are going to have the same level of distortion.

On the other hand, you picked two brands that both engineer towards smooth on and off axis response. So, they'll probably match reasonably well. It won't be ideal, but you already know that.

Have you considered the Primus P142 for surrounds? Available at a great price from this authorized internet retailer: http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html .

Accepts threaded mounts, has all the extension you need for surrounds, and would match your mains. Also, you'll have the freedom to go ala carte on a better sub.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice amicusterrae. I just got the Energies, so I'm not in a position to change up the surrounds. It sounds like my plan is not a lost cause however. I only listen to music in stereo, so I don't think it matters too much whether the surrounds are different. I guess my biggest concern is whether the Infiities will sound terrible with the Energy center.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.