AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do luv my Theta CB3 with Six Shooter multi-channel analog premp. HD DVD sounds fantastic even though its decoded in my Toshiba HD-XA1 HD DVD player.

I already use both multi-channel inputs to my Six Shooter: HD DVD and my Theta Compli for SACD/DVD-A.

I wanna add Blue Ray, too.

I could just get a Zektor multi-channel analog switcher to do this.

Tyree uses a Denon 3808CI with his Theta CB3 and Six Shooter. We don't know if the new Theta (bought by ATI) will do an upgrade for CB3 owners to do HDMI multi-channel audio. Like Tyree, I want decoding vis bitstream for the new higher resolution formats including Dolby True HD and DTS Master HD.

Like Tyree, I would use the receiver ONLY for Blue Ray and HD DVD bitstream over HDMI, to the receiver for audio decoding (and from receiver via multi-channel analog to my Six Shooter) and to my Lumagen Radiance for video

(paired with Sim2 C3X 1080 coming soon).

I get good deals on stuff (being once upon a time the Moderator of the now defunct AVS Special Guests forum and having started the AVS CES Party thing years ago with lotsa door prizes) so MSRP isn't as much an issue as it might be for most.

I'm interested in comparing the receivers and sound quality in decoding for HD DVD and Blue Ray, including of course the DACs used. I'd like to compare

Denon AVR-3809CI (24-192 DACs), AVR-4308CI and AVR-5308CI (really can't see even at a deal buying this one, too expensive for purpose); and the Integra and Onkyo lines. Like the Denon's listed above, they must have at least 3 HDMI inputs and a set of analog multi-channel preamp outputs.

Can anyone help me?

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone?????????????????????

·
Registered
540 Posts
Steve any idea if ATI are considering the upgrade as I am now in a similar positon thinking of selling off the CBIII and just getting a receiver that supports the same formats

·
Banned
2,570 Posts
If you need XLR inputs/outputs you can look at the integra other then that if you are only going to use the pre outs of a denon/onkyo receiver they would not be that much of a difference unless you also planned on using the room correction option.

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My understanding is the new ATI Theta is hard at work developing HDMI for the CB.

But no info yet re whether there will be any sort of trade-in/upgrade deal for existing owners.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Steve or anybody else who knows: What's the story on hdmi 1.3 and Theta and the advanced audio codecs? Are they actually THERE yet?

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
I know someone here doing this samething with and Onkyo 805. I think Kal also does with a IR 9.8.

Mark Russ he is the one with the 805 hooked up to his NHT control pre amp and he likes it a lot.

My question would be Filmmixer here has had all of the Denons up to the 5308. He has had of the Pioneers up to the SC-09 and he has all of the Onkyos up to the 905. Now out of all of them he like the pioneers better and even said the sc-07 sounds like the sc-09. The question here is, is it the amps better than the rest, which wouldn't do you any good since you have those already on your AA, is it the room eq. or the processing which would be what you would want.

Allen

·
Registered
21,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy11 /forum/post/14832916

Steve or anybody else who knows: What's the story on hdmi 1.3 and Theta and the advanced audio codecs? Are they actually THERE yet?

Go to the $20K forum where there are threads discussing this in detail. We are expecting a Theta CB3 HDMI 1.3 audio upgrade, internal, in the range of $3,500 - $4,000, soon. At CEDIA Theta displayed this statically and said they expected it to be available hopefully by X-Mas. Stay tuned in the $20K forum.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts