AVS Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone using the Schneider x lens (small) with this jvc model? A fellow avs member and I are talking about trading his Schneider lens for my prismasonjc 6000. I can not find the min throw ratio for the small Schneider lens. Looks like past jvc models were 2.24 for min. My projector is 15.9 ft from the lens to the screen and my 2.35.1 scope screen is 110 wide (78" wide for 16x9). My projector is currently at mendtronjx, but I am 99.9% certain of the numbers. 2.42 would be my throw ratio

My guess is the small lens would work with my set up. Thoughts?

Thanks
Ron

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think the same, the X lense will work at your TR of 2.44. If you ever plan to get closer to the screen, you will need the M oder even XL version to circumnavigate vignetting.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Thanks, I saw the samething. ...unfortunately, it doesn't have my model.

Ron
Ron. It does. The "Small" one is the 1st in the list (Cine-Digitar Anamorphic 1.33x). There are some photos of it on my site if you want to verify. Photos link, down near the bottom. That lens was actually made by Schneider a long time ago. They were unsuccessful at making a larger format lens so they bought Isco and turned them into their A-lens division. The Schneider "M" is an Isco made lens. Identical glass to the Isco "IIIS". That small CineDigitar will only work with PJ's with the smaller panel sizes at high throw ratios. Be carefull though, be sure you are cleanly within the ranges shown. Those numbers were supplied by the manufacturers, not Schneider testing, so take them with caution. For example, I'm sure the Sim2 numbers were meant to go with the M. Any DLP with the larger DMD would need more than TR than the Sony's and JVCs. If the trade doesn't work out, you'd be better off with a XEIT or an M. Happy to get either for you.

Scott

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron. It does. The "Small" one is the 1st in the list (Cine-Digitar Anamorphic 1.33x). There are some photos of it on my site if you want to verify. Photos link, down near the bottom. That lens was actually made by Schneider a long time ago. They were unsuccessful at making a larger format lens so they bought Isco and turned them into their A-lens division. The Schneider "M" is an Isco made lens. Identical glass to the Isco "IIIS". That small CineDigitar will only work with PJ's with the smaller panel sizes at high throw ratios. Be carefull though, be sure you are cleanly within the ranges shown. Those numbers were supplied by the manufacturers, not Schneider testing, so take them with caution. For example, I'm sure the Sim2 numbers were meant to go with the M. Any DLP with the larger DMD would need more than TR than the Sony's and JVCs. If the trade doesn't work out, you'd be better off with a XEIT or an M. Happy to get either for you.

Scott

Thanks Scott. When I said they didn't have my model, I was referring to the model of jvc that I have....I didn't see I to their site lists for throw ratios. I am nervous about getting the lens ands finding out in the real world it's not a fit. What makes this such a neat opportunity is allows me to try the lens without any money outlay on my part. I've spent so much in the last year....I don't think I could talk my wife into a couple grand more now to switch out my lens.

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Thanks Scott. When I said they didn't have my model, I was referring to the model of jvc that I have....I didn't see I to their site lists for throw ratios. I am nervous about getting the lens ands finding out in the real world it's not a fit. What makes this such a neat opportunity is allows me to try the lens without any money outlay on my part. I've spent so much in the last year....I don't think I could talk my wife into a couple grand more now to switch out my lens.
10-4. I dont' think JVC has changed their light engine size wise in a long time. I always forget the Xnnn number to RSnn number conversion, so I don't know which RS model yours is like, but I'm sure some JVC fan can tell you.

·
Registered
168 Posts
.. What makes this such a neat opportunity is allows me to try the lens without any money outlay on my part.
So you are on the safe side. Simply try out the lense, and if it does not work out for you, send it back.

I was in the same situation as you (JVC X500), was thinking about getting a X Cine-Digitar, but was lucky on ebay and got an unused ISCO 3s (=Cine-Digitar M) for only 999 Euros.

But my JVC is closer to the screen, so i had to have the larger lense.

·
Premium Member
26,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So you are on the safe side. Simply try out the lense, and if it does not work out for you, send it back.

I was in the same situation as you (JVC X500), was thinking about getting a X Cine-Digitar, but was lucky on ebay and got an unused ISCO 3s (=Cine-Digitar M) for only 999 Euros.

But my JVC is closer to the screen, so i had to have the larger lense.
Thanks Chris. It's a tad more complicated than try it and send it back...I wish that was a possibility. In this case, I would be trading with another member, which I'm sure we could work out an arrangement for reimbursement of shipping fees etc to keep him whole if it didn't work out...

But, you combine that with needing to buy a stand too (maybe having to modify the stand by drilling a couple holes to match my mounting system) well, you can see it's not as straight forward as I wish it was for a demo period.

Thanks to you and Mike for the feedback, terrific information and suggestions. You guys are examples of why AVS is such a cool community.

Ron

·
Registered
184 Posts
Thanks Chris. It's a tad more complicated than try it and send it back...I wish that was a possibility. In this case, I would be trading with another member, which I'm sure we could work out an arrangement for reimbursement of shipping fees etc to keep him whole if it didn't work out...
I saw this pop up in the "Active Topics" window on the right. ;)
Yes, if you're just worried about TR/vignetting, we can work something out. Maybe I can ship lens to you, you test, and if all good, ship HD6000 to me, otherwise send lens back. Maybe GetGray will give you a good deal on a stand so I can buy it from you if the TR doesn't work out :)

·
Scott Horton, techht.com
5,743 Posts
Mike who? I'm Scott in case you meant me, if not, nevemind :).

Curious why you are wanting to trade your lens anyway? I'd have my reasons but I just wondered what yours were.

re mounts. I think I told Sulakd I do have some parts to make a Schnieder Cinedigitar mount. The back plate is the hard part becasue it has a set of curved slotted holes in it to allow for the roll adjustment. I have a couple of those left. If you are making your own mount, I'm happy to sell whatever pieces you need (only). Maybe you just need the backing plate, dunno.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts