Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I'm currently going through a phase of lusting over a philips 963SA, due to the PAL progressive option. But are my lusts misguided?

I can either output PAL as progressive PAL (576p), or convert to progressive NTSC(480p).

Which would be the recommended output method for PAL discs? The end result will be 480 lines of resolution anyway, and surely the chip in the philips will be better at rescaling than the not-so-good chip in my panasonic AE100?

So for fixed panel projectors of this size, is NTSC the best option? and if so, would I be better with another progressive player that converts pal to NTSC - any suggestions here?

·
Registered
22 Posts
That's a hard one to answer, without actually doing back to back comparisons. The fact it needs to scale to lose resolution of the PAL source to display on the AE100 means it wont look great either way, but obviously there isn't a 3rd option.

My 'untested' opinion would be that getting the projector to scale would be better. The horizontal resolution from the DVD player is 720 regardless, therefore the projector must scale this out to 848 (I think?) anyway. If the player is scaling the vertical, and then the projector the horizontal, the image is going through 2 scalings. Whereas if you output the image at 576p (unscaled), and just get the projector to scale both horizontal and vertical, only 1 scaling process is being done.

Again, this is simply going by theory, rather then tested results. :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.