AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure if this question fits in this part of the forum, but it might boil down to something as simple as this:

Can a Barcographics 808 handle pure 720p @ 50 Hz and 1080i @ 50 Hz?

Reason for asking is this *sigh*:

I bought a Zinwell Brightview Scaler some time ago. I hooked it up to my Barcographics 808s RGBHV and was impressed by its handling of NTSC but far less impressed by its PAL.

As I live in a PAL country that was quite a dissapointment. I exchanged numerous mails with Zinwells representatives, and I recieved two new firmware upgrades. Nothing really helped. PAL looked "muddy" and "smeared". I concluded that the 50->60Hz transformation of all PAL video in the Briteview wasn't a good thing. The upgrades gave me a 75 Hz output as well but I really didn't see any large improvement.

I needed PAL to run at 50 Hz. This much I knew from my time of fiddling with HTPC. Everything else looks smeared. As it was, I was stuck with a scaler that could only deliver standard VESA frequencies (640*480, 800*600, 1024*768 ans 1280*1024 at 60/75 Hz).

Thing is that the Briteview can output both RGBHV (VGA) and YCbCr (component). The Barco can't handle component, but as it seemed like all the good reviews of the Briteview where performed using the component output, I really wanted to give it a try.

Also, the YCbCr-output produces true 480p, 576p, 720p and 1080i at the same vertical frequencies as the input. I would get high resolution NTSC an PAL video at the correct scanning freq:s. Great..?

A wild shot, but I ordered a Key Digital KD-CTCA2 and recieved about a week ago.

It transcoded the progressive component video beautifully. I noticed quite some improvement at once.

I had already figured that maybe the Briteviews YCbCr->RGBHV transcoding wasn't the best and it really seemed that way.

The first DVD I tried looked crisp as h*ll and had gorgeous colours! I really liked the 720p output of the NTSC(!)-DVD I tried first and after a while I switched to a PAL DVD that I knew looked really bad on the Briteview before - Star Wars Ep. II.

I put it in and...

...no signal...

...no picture...

WHATTTTT??? Gaahhh...

After a few days of fiddling with the transcoders DIP switches, mailing with the reseller and trying all thinkable inputs to the PJ... I even changed firmware in the Briteview to an older one to be sure... After all this, it finally dawned on me:

Either the Briteview or the KD-CTCA2 or the Barcographics 808 can't handle neither [email protected] nor [email protected]!

I still have some improvement since I can run PAL at [email protected] and NTSC at 480p, 720p and 1080i and it really looks good, but goddamit I need [email protected] too!

Please, any hint, help or suggestion will be very welcome... I'm growing really desperate.

Thanks... :confused:

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Unless the scaler is doing something twisted to the video signal, a BG808s can easily run at all of the above at 50 Hz. I think its your scalers/transcoders that are giving you the problem.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If it's a Barco 808s you have and not an 808 ,I think you can get a component input card thats capable of 1080i and 720p.

As you're in Europe try contacting Henry at crtprojectors.co.uk for advice.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
When you are saying you get "no signal... no picture", what output are you getting from the projector?

Every 808 should be capable of displaying all HDTV resolutions at 50 Hz. The data grade ones may exhibit high frequency rolloff at the higher resolutions (960p) and scan lines may overlap (at 960p), but every 808 should give you an image from a 50 Hz signal.

I wonder if the previous owner played with a pot or two that has affected the frequency range the projector will lock onto. Unfortunately, I don't know what pot this is, just that a pot exists. :)

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know now that the culprint is the scaler. :(

I connected it's Y to Green, Cb to Blue and Cr to Red and ran the Barco in RGsB-mode. I ran the scaler directly into the PJ this way without the transcoder in between.

All frequencies except [email protected] and [email protected] synced. Just like in all the other tests.

Thanks for the help, no I need to complain to Zinwell. Again... :(

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.