AVS Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a PAL N64 that can output either composite or S-Video, a Panasonic TX-P50ST50B plasma, and an Onkyo TX-NR515 AVR.

Unfortunately I can't find a satisfactory method of hooking it up to my TV. The TV has no S-Video port and neither does my AVR, which makes this more complicated than I'd have liked. I have a SCART adapter that accepts S-Video, and the TV has its own adapter that accepts SCART. So there are a few methods of hooking it all up:

1) Composite straight into TV. Not great results. Not only is there dot crawl but my TV is terrible at upscaling external SD sources, meaning there's jaggies all over the place.
2) Composite into SCART adapter into TV. Same results as (1).
3) S-Video into SCART adapter into TV. Dot crawl is gone but there is a weird colour rainbow effect that isn't seen with (1) or (2). Any white text has moving colours over it. To be honest I'm not sure which I prefer out of dot crawl and rainbows.
4) Composite straight into AVR. Doesn't work. When I start my test game (Perfect Dark), I get an image during the title sequence but as soon as the main game loads, the AVR seems to "lose" the signal, and starts outputting a blank 1080p/60 signal. I've tried playing with the output settings but they all do this (auto, through, 1080p, 576p).

The reason I was hoping I could get my AVR to work was that it can surely upscale better than the TV. Decent upscaling + dot crawl is probably going to be better than poor upscaling + rainbow effect, if I could get it to work that is :(. Are there any other options I might be overlooking? Like maybe some kind of S-Video to RGB/Component/HDMI converter? Has anyone experienced either the S-Video "rainbow" issue or the AVR "losing signal" issue before?

Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
An update! I tried the N64 on my PC monitor (which usefully has composite and S-Video connectors) and experienced similar issues to what I saw with my AVR. I also dug out an old CRT with a SCART input to test that.

1) Composite into monitor. Perfect Dark works as long as I don't change any video settings (e.g. overscan). If I do, the signal is lost and I have to reboot the N64. Some games give me no signal at all (e.g. WWF No Mercy).
2) S-Video into monitor. Same as (1) with less dot crawl but this time there is no "rainbow" effect.
3) S-Video into SCART into CRT TV. Less dot crawl but "rainbow" effect is back.
4) Official composite cable into monitor. Instead of using my multi composite/S-Video N64/XBox/PS1 cable, I tried my old official N64 composite cable. This time I get no signal on any games.

So I've learned two things. Firstly, the "rainbow" effect I see on my TV with S-Video isn't due to the cable or console. It must be one of two things: either the SCART adapter I'm using is dodgy and doesn't work properly for S-Video, or neither of my TVs supports S-Video over SCART. It's probably the latter since S-Video is just rarely used in the UK and most SCART sockets support only RGB and composite...I'm unsure why this'd produce a moving rainbow pattern rather than just a black and white screen though. Secondly, it's not just my AVR that has issues with these N64 signals. Maybe they are just non-standard somehow?

I was thinking of trying an S-Video to HDMI converter (£30ish) but if these expensive parts are having issues with the N64 video signal, I'm not sure if a cheap converter will work with it either. :(

1 - 2 of 2 Posts