AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ive tried the search but cant find a simple answer to this Q.

I am about to buy a bluray player - probably a cheapo PS3 and am based in the UK.

I'm going to use the player with a VP50 and a Sony Pearl - both 24fps capable units.

My question is how is 24fps handled with regards PAL and NTSC discs?

I happily imported all my previous DVDs and players from the USA and am happy to do this again with my HD collection.

My question is - Is the video fundamentally encrypted at 24fps and converted at "run-time" to PAL or NTSC or is it stored fundamentally at a 25 or 30fps rate and converted to 24fps at run time?

if the former is true (natively stored at 24fps) then am I right in thinking is doesnt matter whether I buy a Region A (US) or Region B (Europe) machine?

thanks in advance for any help

Ian

PS Dare I ask in the bluray forum if the same is true of HD-DVD too?

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Blu-Ray is not NTSC or PAL, and yes the film based material should be encoded at 1080p/24.

I am pretty sure the same goes for HD-DVD.

·
Registered
7,958 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingBoy /forum/post/0

Ive tried the search but cant find a simple answer to this Q.

I am about to buy a bluray player - probably a cheapo PS3 and am based in the UK.

Welcome - I'm a UK-er - with both PS3 BluRay and XBox 360 HD-DVD devices - both European models.

Quote:
I'm going to use the player with a VP50 and a Sony Pearl - both 24fps capable units.

I'm using an HD Ready but not 24Hz capable Bravia.

Quote:
My question is how is 24fps handled with regards PAL and NTSC discs?

"PAL" and "NTSC" are really only SD issues in many - but not always.

Most movie BluRay releases in Europe (as in the US and Japan) are 1080/24p - neither PAL nor NTSC. However the extras are often 480/60i - i.e. "NTSC" (but not composite so I prefer 480/60i)

There ARE standards for 1080/50i and 1080/60i as well as 1080/24p HD material on BluRay and HD-DVD discs - and when sporting events and some music concerts are released in HD then they may well use these - as may some TV productions. However all the movie releases I've seen so far keep the main feature in 1080/24p - as movies are shot on 24fps film.

If you have a 24p capable display and a 24p capable player then this is fine. If you don't then you get a 60p or 60i output signal with 3:2 frame repetition.

As all HD Ready displays sold in Europe will accept and display 1080/60i, 720/60p, 480/60p and 480/60i as well as the 50Hz variants this isn't an issue (many now accept 1080/60p as well - though this isn't an HD Ready requirement)

Quote:
I happily imported all my previous DVDs and players from the USA and am happy to do this again with my HD collection.

Yep - there is now no real difference in video terms in many cases between US and European HD releases - they are both in 24p. Previously US releases were in 60i with 3:2 pulldown and Eu releases were in 50i with 2:2 pulldown and speed-up.

Quote:
My question is - Is the video fundamentally encrypted at 24fps and converted at "run-time" to PAL or NTSC or is it stored fundamentally at a 25 or 30fps rate and converted to 24fps at run time?

It is stored at 24p. It is replayed at 24p and then either output at 24p or 60i or 60p. No conversion to 50Hz required as European displays accept 60Hz signals.

Does mean we now have 3:2 judder when previously we had smoother 2:2 rendition - but also means we don't have speed-up.

HOWEVER - beware that US and Europe are in different BluRay regions (A and B respectively). HD-DVD doesn't have regions at the moment - but equally many EU and US BluRay releases are multi-region currently - but not all.
Quote:
if the former is true (natively stored at 24fps) then am I right in thinking is doesnt matter whether I buy a Region A (US) or Region B (Europe) machine?

50Hz SD DVD replay is an issue for many US/Japanese units - whereas 60Hz replay is fine on European units - though DVD and BD region coding is still an issue.

My Eu PS3 replays R0 480/60i DVD, RB 480/60i BluRay material fine, as well as R0 and R2 576/50i DVD. A US PS3 will not replay R0 576/50i material...

Quote:
thanks in advance for any help

Ian

PS Dare I ask in the bluray forum if the same is true of HD-DVD too?

HD-DVD doesn't currently have region encoding - though AIUI there may be issues with US players playing European SD DVDs.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.