Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
People

I was after alittle information

I am wanting to buy a good doubler that will be used for 90% PAL 10%NTSC this is areal hard choice can you please help with a little info the medels i am looking at are the following

Vigatec FX2

Omega 1

Iscan Pro

Quadscan elite

it will be mated to either a Sony 1252 or 1272

·
Premium Member
8,098 Posts
iScan PRO has SIL503/504 in it, that'll give you some audio delay in PAL.

Quadscan is not worth considering.

FX2 and Omega1 are almost the same beasts (although some would have you believe they are completely different ;) ).

The problem is that you may not be able to obtain one or the other where you are located. They are both Faroudja based deinterlacers, which is very good.

·
Registered
602 Posts
The FX2 has an RGB input... which is important in Australia where many of our SDTV boxes have RGB out..... so if you want your DVD and DigitalTV upconverted.... its the only option. Not to mention, Vigatec is from Germany, which is a PAL country.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you only need the doubler for DVDs why not use a progressive scan DVD player such as the SKYWORTH or MALATA?

This will give you better video quality than a doubler since the signal is deinterlaced purely in the digital domain.

I use a SKYWORTH 1050P for PAL DVDs in conjunction with a BARCO Cine 7 and I completely happy with the result -> no need for a scaler or framerate conversion.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Problem with the SkyWorth and Nintaus, is the Skyworth no longer has VGA out... and both products have reliability issues. Also, do you have DigitalTV in Switzerland ? Most people are going to want upconversion for this, and we all know faroudja excells at video de-interlacing.

We have the DGTEC HDTV box, which will upconvert 576i to 1080i... but the quality of the processing leads to a soft picture. Also, the SDTV quality of the Thompson SDTV @ 576i box is better than the DGTEC @ 576i

One box that handles everything, including your old video-recorder and Foxtel Cable TV is certainly nice.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Quote:
I use a SKYWORTH 1050P for PAL DVDs in conjunction with a BARCO Cine 7 and I completely happy with the result -> no need for a scaler or framerate conversion. [/b]

Roland,

I found the PAL progressive output from Skyworth is inferior as compared to NTSC progressive output, the image is jaggy and quite noisy.

While the new Philips 962SA (with PAL progressive hack) gives much better PAL progressive image and is at least as good as the NTSC progressive out. If you have a chance, please give it a try. Otherwise, the cheaper Q50 should give similar video performance (as I don't have it so can not be sure).

Cam

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
Problem with the SkyWorth and Nintaus, is the Skyworth no longer has VGA out...
I didn't know that. My model still has a VGA out.

Quote:
and both products have reliability issues.
Well, the SKYWORTH can be terribly slow at times but other than that I haven't had any reliability problems with it.

Quote:
I found the PAL progressive output from Skyworth is inferior as compared to NTSC progressive output, the image is jaggy and quite noisy.
I don't see any of these problems with PAL DVDs you mentioned?

Could you point out a DVD where these problems are very prominent for me to check out?

I have not seen any of the Philips prog. players but a friend of mine who also owns a SKYWORTH has compared it against a Q50 and has not found the units to be very different with PAL?

He said that the Q50 may be a slight bit sharper than the SKY.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Hi,

as Ofer pointed out, if your viewing will be mainly PAL, the Quad is not an option as it doesn´t have a filmmode for PAL and is therefore not able to use the full resolution.

The Audio-Dealy of the Sil-Chipset in my Vigatec VC1280 is not very noticable for me on most material, and there are ways around it.

I can wholeheartedly recommend Vigatech as a company - I´m very pleased with their products.

Yours,

Philip

·
Registered
388 Posts
Roland

"If you only need the doubler for DVDs why not use a progressive scan DVD player such as the SKYWORTH or MALATA? This will give you better video quality than a doubler since the signal is deinterlaced purely in the digital domain".

This surely depends on the quality of the deinterlacing and the chips etc? Do you think that my Toshiba SD900 (SD9200) will be better at deinterlacing my NTSC DVD's than an IScan or Vigatec?

Also, not all DVD players with deinterlacing work the same. Many convert the progressive data on the disc into composite first and then convert the composite information back into progressive for output. The Toshiba (Colour Stream Pro) takes the progressive signal staraight from the disc and out.

Kane

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Just for the record, the extron processor has SCART compatibility, and 2:2 pulldown with a frame doubling method to go to 100 Hz.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by oferlaor
iScan PRO has SIL503/504 in it, that'll give you some audio delay in PAL.

Quadscan is not worth considering.

FX2 and Omega1 are almost the same beasts (although some would have you believe they are completely different ;) ).

The problem is that you may not be able to obtain one or the other where you are located. They are both Faroudja based deinterlacers, which is very good.
I am based in Dublin, Ireland and am using the I-SCAN PRO (Imported from Germany) and it is true that there is lip sync problem ... at times it is annoying and at others it is not. To resolve this problem I purchased a Denon AVC-A1SR which has an audio delay feature.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Quote:
This surely depends on the quality of the deinterlacing and the chips etc?
The SKYWORTH uses the Faroudja FIL2200 chip which is regarded as on (if not the best). You can't go wrong with a player which has this chip.

Quote:
Do you think that my Toshiba SD900 (SD9200) will be better at deinterlacing my NTSC DVD's than an IScan or Vigatec?
Can't comment on the performance of the Toshiba since I have never seen one in action. I have seen the VIGATEC Scaler on a 10 foot wide screen and it had stairstepping problems in the opening sequence of Shakespeare In Love.

Quote:
Also, not all DVD players with deinterlacing work the same. Many convert the progressive data on the disc into

composite first and then convert the composite information back into progressive for output.
I'm not aware of any player which does that (not saying there aren't any)? But I think you mean they convert the signal into COMPONENT and not COMPOSITE signal?

These players can not be called Progressive Scan DVD Player but rather Players with integrated linedoubler or as you mentioned with deinterlacing since the conversion to progressive is not performed in the digital domain.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Hi SChong

I sent you a private message twice but I think it wasn't processed properly so I post my reply below:

Quote:
1. How long have you used it and what's your comment of its quality ?
I have had the Cine 7 since March of 2000 and I'm very pleased with the quality of the unit. It's the best 7 inch projector BARCO has ever produced.

Quote:
2. What screen and what size do you use ?
I use a STEWART Studiotek 130 screen which is 93 inches wide and is 16:9 formatted[/quote]

Quote:
3. Looks like you're not using scaler since you're using Skyworth player. Do you connect via VGA ? Don't you see scan lines without scaler?
For PAL I use the prog. out of the SKYWORTH. 576p seems to be very near the sweetspot of the projector. I can only make out scanlines in very bright white areas of the picture but ever so slightly that it's not bothering at all.

For NTSC I use a SONY 7700 with CINEMATRIX PSM-1 in 720p mode since 480p is definitely not good enough.

I connect the SKY via the VGA out.

Quote:
4. I have downloaded the manual but still can't find the answer for :

a) Does Cine 7 has the standard 15pin VGA input port ?

b) What is the throw distance for 100" wide screen size?
a) No, it has 5 BNC connectors for RGB and YUV.

b) The throw distance for 100 inches would be about 150 inches from the lenses on (factor 1.5).

Quote:
5. Is Cine 8 worth the extra money ?
The Cine 8 is definitely superior in light output and resolution but it's also twice the money. If cash is not that much of a concern of you than why not but if your more on a budget I wouldn't go with the Cine 8.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
>>> Also, not all DVD players with deinterlacing work the same. Many convert the progressive data on the disc into composite first and then convert the composite information back into progressive for output...

As far as I know, all DVD players (the player's MPEG decoder) deliver the DVD video first as interlaced (but fortunately always as Y/Pb/Pr component not composite). The next stage of the player (its de-interlacer) makes progressive scan out of it. Almost all progressive players, I am told, will preserve the 3-2 pulldown of 24 fps film source material (maximizing the quality) that has been properly put on the DVD (proper flagging). Beyond that, when dealing with incorrect flagging (exists) or non-film source, DVD players vary widely in progressive output quality. Those with Faroudja (top end Faroudja, as opposed to middling Sage) or Silicon Image de-interlacing are among the best.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/viddoubl.htm

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.