Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a Toshiba MT7 with a native resolution of 720p (1280 * 720). I bought a PAL XBOX last march, that came with a composite cable. When in the States last week, I bought a hi-def component video pack, which is hard to get in Europe but which I need, since the MT7 doesn't have a RGB Scart input. When running the component signal to the projector, interlaced signals have improved as expected. When trying to run in progressive mode however, it doesn't work. Here's what I found out:

First of all, when you go to the video set up using composite cable, you can select aspect ration (full screen, letter box, wide screen). You can also select whether your display supports PAL at 60 Hz (which my PJ does).

If you then connect the component cables, you still see the same two choices in the video set up. However, if you choose the PAL 60 Hz menu, you now can select if your display supports 480p!!! I found out more people noticed this bug.

I currently have 3 games, all PAL: Halo, Dead or Alive 3 and Jet Set Radio Future. None confirm or deny progressive compatibility in the booklets or on the cover. I figured out the scan rates (480i, 625i, PAL, PAL60) by pressing the 'call' button on the MT7.

According to the manual, the Toshiba MT7 supports NTSC, PAL, SECAM, PAL-M, PAL-N, PAL-60 and NTSC4.43 on its composite signal. For component, it supports 480i, 480p, 720p and 1080i. An flash update for PAL progressive on the MT7 seems to be available, but not officially and I haven't installed it on my PJ.

Trying to run these games in progressive mode, I encountered the following situations:

1) I first choose 50 Hz through composite -> connect the component cables -> switch 480p off -> the menu and games are all in 625i.

2) I first choose 60 Hz through composite -> connect the component cables -> switch 480p off -> the menu, Halo and run in 625i, DOA3 and JSRF run 480i.

3) I first choose 50 Hz through composite -> connect the component cables -> switch 480p on -> the menu and Halo are still 625i, but with DOA 3 and JSRF the screen stays blank.

4) Turning 480p on with 60 Hz has the same result as 3).

My conclusions:

1) A PAL XBOX is not capable of sending any progressive signal using the hi def component pack - it doesn't switch back to an interlaced signal, it simply blanks out.

2) The 50/60 Hz option available through composite/svhs can make a difference on the number of scan lines (480i vs. 625i) when running in interlaced mode, apparently running progressive-capable games at 480i and others at 625i.

I am very disappointed by this, one of the main reasons for buying the XBOX was its 480p and future 720p promise, which would look at least as good as my Dreamcast VGA box. Now I'm stuck with a low-res signal.

I've read the thread about the digital-x.de VGA adapter/transcoder, which sounds nice. But then I'd have to spend another 89 Euro + shipping, can throw away my US$ 20 hi def component pack and have no compatibility guarantees for future games since it's an unofficial accessory. I signed the petition, urging MS to bring out an official first- or third party VGA box, but I'm not counting on anything there.

Let me know if you recognize this situation and/or if you have additional info.

Jeroen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

Not sure if this helps, but Micro$oft have admitted that they have removed the capability to output in Progressive for the Australian release of the Xbox.

The reason they quoted revolved around Australian standardization and Macrovision protection issues.

Micro$oft have actually pulled the Hi_def cables from the market over here themselves and have given no answer on re-release nor upgrading the xbox to supporting progressive output.

I'm not sure if the xbox that you bought had the same changes made to it and thus meaning that the only versions that support progressive, will be the NTSC based ones (ie USA & Jap).

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Andre,

Yeah, the games industry seems to think it's okay that PAL people get their stuff later, have to pay more and don't mind having fewer features and options.

Do you (still) have the hi def component cable? If so, what happens if you switch the configuration to 480p? Do/did you get an interlaced output, or, like me, no output at all?

I tested the projector yesterday with my Dreamcast VGA adapter, but it only gives me 4:3 image since the projector considers it computer video and computer video is only stretched in 4:3 aspect ratio. For progressive, component seems to be the best choice on the MT7.

I still want progressive on my XBOX though. I am now thinking of having my hi-def modified by digital-x.de so it supports progressive on PAL on all 480p games (not on 720p, but no games (esp. in PAL countries) support this). I'll find out what the costs are. Alternatively, I can swap it with an american unit, some early XBOX adopters/importers here in Europe wouldn't mind exchaning it I guess, but then I'll have to import games myself (which is not necessarily a bad thing).

Cheers,

Jeroen

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,

No I havn't got the cable anymore as I swapped it for a "advanced" cable and credit on a game.

No I didn't manage to get anything out of the xbox in terms of progrgessive and the entire section has been removed from Australian units.

Yes that's right, M$ actually removed that option from our consoles!!!!

Nope and there's no word of a patch or anything to re-enable it. Word on the street is that it's been permanently removed and would need to be replaced to get Progressive out of it.

Yeh I know what you mean about PAL people getting the short end of the stick.

I'm so used to importing movies and other things from the states. In fact 70% of my collection is Region 1 as the releases here always have things missing of them. Just look at the Region 4 release of Harry Potter .... PAn & Scam ONLY !!!!! nope no widescreen release at all!!!!

Anyway. I wish you luck but you might need a IScan Pro and then use that to convert a S-Video or Composite signal to Progressive for the console.

Let me know what happens.

Cheers

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.