AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if these are worth it? It'd be great to have one remote to control everything, but can they do that? I'm pretty sure that they can only communicate with the PC, meaning that i won't be able to change channels of my sat, or control the sound volume with it. So then, it's just for DVD's and recorded sat videos?

·
Registered
2,868 Posts
i just performed this experiment a month or so ago with a Palm m100 and yes this remote will do everything and is semi-customisable via the omniremote software ($20) but the IR although improved from earlier models is insufficient for home theater use. The Palm easily controlled my Act 3 processor from a distance away but the range was limited with my DTC 100 and I had to point the Palm directly at the receiver for it to respond. Not good enough but if you only have a couple of components to control and you already have a Palm then all you need is the omniremote software to enable remote capability for the Palm. For a basic system, a NEWER Palm will do the job.

For basically the same money, you can buy yourself a Pronto; you would be doing yourself a favour by doing so.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the TSU2000 looks good.. they cost a bit more than i'd like them to, but i'll get one sooner or later :D

·
Registered
888 Posts
Sony recently announced that one of their new model PalmOS Clie's has a boosted IR transmitter, specifically for remote control applications. I didn't pay much more attention that that, but I'm sure the details are out there if you look.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Here's the info on the Sony PDA:

"The company has boosted the reach of the Clie's infrared port--usually used to exchange data with other handhelds--to 15 feet and added software support for remote control of products from about 20 consumer electronics manufacturers. Sony is working on software upgrades that will allow the PEG-T415 to control additional products. "

http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1006-200...ml?tag=rltdnws

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.