AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A newbie question about an older Panasonic CRT projector.

I recently acquired (i.e. last week) a 1988 Panasonic PT-105 (72F - meaning it can produce a 72in ( really up to 80in) picture and is set up to be floor mount-able (but that can be changed)). After much searching I was able to locate the manuals and have set it up in a temporary location while I learn more about it and its capabilities.

The unit has 4 different inputs: 1) S-Video 2) Line video 3) RGB analog (BNC)(includimg H and V) and 4) RGB (TTL) (D Sub 9 pin connector - IBM PSII). The specs from the manual are as follows:

Resolution: Video: 650 TV lines

RBG: Horizantal: 1470 dots/1100 TV lines

Vertical: 1100 dots

Compatible with PC signals (15-37kHz horizontal and 50-100Hz vertical)

Obviously I know what the line and S-video are (I have used these to set it up now). My questions are more about the 2 RGB connections. My guess is that the RBG(TTL) is a wash because it will not support the resolution I want/need. On the other hand I think the Analog RGB should be able to support 800 x 600 resolution (feel free to correct me if I am wrong). But what else can I connect to those inputs? Can I for example connect an Iscan line doubler (using a 15 pin/RGB cable)? How about the component output of a DVD player? Is there such a thing as a component/RGB cable or could I create one with a RGB/RGB cable and RCA adapters? Would this be worth it or would the picture quality be the same as the S-video or line inputs?

Like I said any and all inputs are welcome. I know enough about this system now to hook up a VCR and get a good picture (good enough for the kids cartoons), but I hope with some tweaking I can get a great picture.

Thanks!!!

·
Registered
3,901 Posts
If 800 X 600 is a lower horizontal scan rate than 37kHz then you can display it. If you use a low refresh rate (60Hz) I think you can do it. You can't use component directly into it, but you can get a component to RGB transcoder to use. You should be able to display signals from line doublers or progressive scan DVD's with no problem, but other funky synchs like HDTV may not be suitable. If you use a DVD rom drive, I'm sure you can set a computer resolution and sych combination that it likes.

·
Registered
16,590 Posts
orionman ,

-- you will get a much better image from the RGBHV bnc connections if used with an HTPC / Iscan / transcoder . You will need a VGA to BNC breakout cable to connect any of those as they all use a 15 pin VGA output . I used to own a Panasonic PT-200 120f model with the same connections and it produced a wonderful image using the BNC connections with an HTPC .

-- Best of Luck ,

--- Jason Berg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.