AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the Panny AX200U projector and just reached 350 hours so far so good no issues but was curious about something I read a while back ago talking about bulb "strike" when unit is turned on and the amount of time that the unit should be watched minimum before turning off and on again.

I am not SUPER anal about my bulb or unit but I also don't want to prematurely wear it out either.

Is it true that once the bulb is turned ON that it should be on for a minimum of 1-1/2 to 2 hrs?

If turned ON for 15 mins then off, then turned back ON for another 30 mins then off then back ON a few hrs later for 45 mins then off next day back ON for 30 more (resulting in four times being turned ON over the course of 2 hrs) is this really bad for the bulb or will it shorten the life vs turning it on once for 2 hours?

Thanks for any help or input on this, just want to confirm because wife and daughter have a bad habit of watching a 30 min program or playing a game for maybe 45 mins then turning it off yet coming back to it a few hrs later, if that is causing a premature wear to the bulb we are gonna have a family talk about projector use...

Bill

·
Registered
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Can't believe I found the thread that got me thinking about this issue,

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1019544

Still is it true that each time you start your bulb up it should be run for 2 hrs minimum?

Also when your bulb goes bad, is it more of a slow dimming less crisp thing or does it just not turn on (like a light bulb) in terms of when it wears out?

Bill

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use to beat on my old L500U running it sometimes for only 15 to 60 minutes for a few tv shows, and gaming I would play 14+ hours on it. Once and a while I would fire it back up after being shut down 30 miuntes ago. The projector is now 4 years old with over 2000 hours and no issues. Quite a few people I know do the same on different models and are still running good. I think some people on this forum take the whole bulb thing way too far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts