AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my E80 for about two weeks now, and all of the information posted here has greatly helped me in getting the most out of it. Thanks to you all.

I have tried using the FR "trick" to get the best encoding for a program.*

However, when doing the dubbing to DVD, I find that my content is always significantly less than the 4411 megs available on the DVD-R for programs (usually, I get a program that is about 3600 megs, for a 90+ minute movie). Is this normal, or is it a function of the content I am recording (so far, the movies I have recorded have been black and white)? Does the FR build in this buffer of space? Or, is the E80 just recording at SP and not telling me? Should I just use SP for everything under 2 hours?

*[Using compatible mode, I record a program (usually a movie from satellite) on the HDD, using FR, and set the time to the approximate amount of time of the program, plus about two minutes for safety. When the recording is finished on the HDD, I usually use Divide Program to cut the first minute and last couple of minutes from the program. I then burn the program using high speed to the DVD-R.]

·
Registered
198 Posts
Just set to dub mode and use FR speed, at least that is what you do on the HS2. You should record everything to the hard drive at XP for best quality.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I use Shorten Segment to cut out the beginning and the end of the programs.

While experimenting with the machine after purchase I recorded a program to the HDD in FR mode - divided it into 2 segments - 1 1hr and the 2nd 45 minutes - I then set them both to burn at High Speed - machine would not allow burning - showing "not enough space on disc" message. But when I tried to burn the whole uncut 1:45 recording - no problem using High Speed.

I have also found that if I record 2 separate less than 30 minute programs (commercials edited with Shorten Segment) in FR mode to the Hard Drive and then want to put them onto the DVD the unit will not allow me to burn in High Speed - showing the same message as above.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I seem to have sort of the opposite situation from JimL; I end up with a program that is smaller than the capacity of a DVD. After experimentation, I think I've figured out what is happening. With compatibility mode on, if a program is recorded on the HDD at FR, the program seems to always be recorded at a bit rate that produces a program of 4000 megs. Thus, using FR actually produces a smaller file for a movie that lasts 1hr and 40 minutes, for example, than recording at SP would produce. Instead of using a higher bit rate than SP, FR may actually produce a recording for such a program at a lower (average) bit rate than SP would. Does this match anyone else's experience?

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
I taped a 92 minute movie at SP and again using FR. While monitoring the bit-rate meter, the FR recording shows higher bit-rates during action sequences. i.e., one scene that pans from two police officers chatting in a car to the bright Las Vegas strip jumps an additional 2000+ in regards to the same scene recorded at SP (4600 vs. 6700)

The FR mode also fills up an entire DVD-R for the 92 minute movie, whereas the SP mode does not.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, videonut. I will try some more experiments. However, I recorded another black and white movie (about 100 minutes) and still only get 4000 megs total for a recording made at FR. That IS a bit more than an SP recording of the same length, but less than I would have hoped. I feel like I'm getting 10% less space filled by the file than I should have. I haven't tried recording the same content at both speeds, so maybe it's because the content is a black and white movie.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
consider yourself lucky.... if you're homing in at 4gb then you're off by 370meg (about 2% or 10 minutes), that little bit of 'slack' at the end is enough to give you the buffer for a (potential) bad disc (since the are most likely to be flakey on the outer edge).

ALSO it may have to do in the way the Panny's "think" and calculate the space on a 4.7gb disc.

On a 'stock' DVD-Ram disc it think's it has 2:00 of recording time.. if you take and record a "blip" on that disc, take it to your PC and erase that program with DVD-Movie Album (NOT on the E80) and take the disc back to the E80, it will now record 2:07 on that disc... about 2% (where did I hear that number before?) or 7 minutes..

I leave the math an a exercise to the reader to prove that

100 minutes @ FR = 120 minutes @ SP = 4gb

and

370mb = ~ 2 % = 10 minutes @ (100min/FR) = 7 minutes @ SP

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the information, Londo. And thanks again for sharing the test data, videonut. I sort of guessed that the 4000 meg cutoff was a safety feature, but I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I was frustrated by seeing that the space available was 4411 and I only had a file of 4000 (or 90.6% of the purported capacity). I guess I should be happy that the missing portion is smaller than that which I find taken from my paycheck each week.

Anyway, you guys are great!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.