AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have several DVD-R's and RAM's that I would like copy to a computer. What program would I use to do this, and would there be a different method or result from the using the two different types of DVD's?

·
Registered
824 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta /forum/post/20836487

I have several DVD-R's and RAM's that I would like copy to a computer. What program would I use to do this, and would there be a different method or result from the using the two different types of DVD's?

Assuming these are not copy protected disks, perhaps the easiest way is to use the freeware program Handbrake to convert the file format on your disks to one mkv or mp4 file. You can use Windows media player or iTunes (Mac) to view your videos.

This can be a very complex subject depending upon your hardware and how you want to view your videos.

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta /forum/post/20836487

What exactly do you want to do and what end state do you want to attain. If you have a burned DVD-R (finalized Video mode) and you simply want to transfer the contents to a HDD for network playback, you do not need to do anything more complicated than put the disk in your PC's DVD drive and drag the VIDEO_TS folder from the DVD-R to your HDD.

RAM is more complicated since it is written in -VR mode. All the video is stored in a single full disk file. To extract the titles you will need a DVD authoring program (i.e. TMPGenC DVD Author) that can read and interpret the structure of a -VR RAM disk.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I don't know if this possible, but I would like for the DVD's to appear the same way as they do on the Panasonic: "Title View", a list of titles. Like, an unfinalized DVD-R looks the same as a DVD-RAM, just a list of titles, dates,etc. Can you have it look that way on the computer hard drive?

·
Registered
13,391 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasta /forum/post/20841012

Thanks. I don't know if this possible, but I would like for the DVD's to appear the same way as they do on the Panasonic: "Title View", a list of titles. Like, an unfinalized DVD-R looks the same as a DVD-RAM, just a list of titles, dates,etc. Can you have it look that way on the computer hard drive?

Once the files are on the HDD it is up to the media player program to do what you want to do. I don't know of any off-hand that will read a RAM or unfinalized DVD-R fileset and give you that kind of title display. Actually I seem to remember that I couldn't get Win-XP to even mount an unfinalized Panasonic DVD-R.

If you finalize the DVD-R and give it the simple menu structure for choosing titles, then a media player like VLC will play the VIDEO_TS folder and display the menu.

Now, is that what you want? Or, are you thinking in terms of: copy some titles to a DVD-R or RAM; transfer the titles from the DVD-R to the PC so that each title is it's own separate playable file.

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
^^ No, he's referring to the Panny HDD models ability to display hard drive contents (under Direct Navigator) as either a list or as 6 large thumbnail windows per page. He'd like the finalized dvds to appear as the list format does on the HDD, which, unfortunately, they can't.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts
Under Mac OS, you can copy the VIDEO_TS folder from a finalized DVD to a hard disk, simply by dragging it over in the Finder, and play it back using Apple's DVD Player utility. The DVD's menu works exactly as it should. I've done this many times with DVD-Rs from my Panasonic DVDRs. Surely there must be some Windows application with similar functionality.

Of course, the video is the same MPEG-2 as on the DVD so you don't get the disk-space reduction that MPEG-4 from Handbrake et al. gives you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.