AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called Panasonic to ask about not getting TVGOS for last 3 weeks in southeast Missouri, Cape Girardeau area on Charter. They said to change settings using code #753159852. Has anyone tried this, or know what this will do?

Thanks

·
Registered
14,210 Posts
I don't have your unit...had a Pio 531 and posted many "troubleshooting" hints on that unit. Since most TVGOS systems seem to have the same interface and system ops, here is a copy-and-paste of what I saved for emergency.

Some things you could try:

1-First, make sure your cable or OTA antenna coax is connected correctly and securely for your system.

2-Go to TVG SETUP > "Change system settings" and highlight it only (don't press Enter) > Enter on keypad the #s 753159852 (an "X" "I" pattern) > Right arrow to 2nd grey screen > Find "Host Chan" in left column and see if there are #s at right, which may look like 1:0-10. The last full # is your Host Channel.

3-If there is a Host Chan there, remember the # and press TVG button to exit. Save that Host Chan # in case you have to call that station for help.

If NO Host Chan listed, reset the TVGOS by pressing the following #s on the keypad: 653159147. Press TVG button to exit and turn unit off, then on, and reset TVG settings. Don't accept zip code or other choices, rekey and toggle them as if new settings. Wait overnight to see if you get TVG and channel listings for your zip.

4. On the morning after:

If you have TVG listings for days 1, 2 and 8, everything should be working OK now.

If not, repeat Step 2 (only) to check for a Host Chan again. IF you still don't have a Host Chan, you won't be receiving any TVGOS signal, so the only thing you can do is call Engineering at your closest PBS and CBS stations, the most likely stations that might be sending TVGOS signal today, and ask them if they have a Gemstar/Rovi TVGOS encoder and is it plugged in. (The TVGOS provider doesn't let them do anything but plug the encoder in to power and their signal stream and keep it powered up.)

If you're on OTA antenna, make sure the antenna is pointing to your closest PBS/CBS station, since you need the strongest signal. (CBS stations have the option to NOT carry TVGOS, so you may be out of luck if yours if one of them.)

You may have to repeat some of these procedures again if your PBS/CBS station's encoder is not working and they get it working after you call them.

Let me know if you need help locating a tel. # and antenna locations (for pointing direction if OTA) for your local PBS or CBS station...I just need their Call Signs.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
im in michigan (detroit) with the same unit and NO TVGOS for almost 2 years

i have the name and telephone number of a contact at Rovi corp if you want to talk to someone directly on the phone about this. it really is a great feature, but the inconsistency of providers passing the data is frustrating

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will try these things. TVGOS is great, when it works. I don't understand why it goes on and off so often. I have not been using a cable box, so I wonder if that could be the problem? Is there any way to subscribe to it on a computer or tv? I would pay for it, if it was reliable.

·
Registered
3,738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wajo /forum/post/20837203

If you're on OTA antenna, make sure the antenna is pointing to your closest PBS/CBS station, since you need the strongest signal.

If you're on OTA only, you're out of luck as far as getting a TVGOS signal into any DVD recorder is concerned, at least not without more equipment. DVD recorders receive only analog (NTSC) OTA signals, not digital (ATSC). For more than two years now, there have been no analog OTA stations that carry TVGOS. The only analog OTA stations are low-power (LP) stations that didn't carry TVGOS in the first place.

There is a way to convert TVGOS data from a digital (ATSC) station so it can be used by a DVD recorder. You need a Dish DTVPal+ converter box (but not the Dish DTVPal DVR) or an Artec T3APR-T digital TV converter box (but only that specific model with the "-T"; there are other Artec boxes that ignore TVGOS).

I've done it with the Dish DTVPal+, see the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s#post17213841

·
Registered
14,210 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20848291

If you're on OTA only, you're out of luck as far as getting a TVGOS signal into any DVD recorder is concerned, at least not without more equipment. DVD recorders receive only analog (NTSC) OTA signals, not digital (ATSC). For more than two years now, there have been no analog OTA stations that carry TVGOS. The only analog OTA stations are low-power (LP) stations that didn't carry TVGOS in the first place.

That's wrong. Several Magnavox HDD DVDRs have digital tuners and can receive digital (ATSC) OTA signals. The problem lies in finding a station that carries the TVGOS data nowadays.

·
Registered
17,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtbell /forum/post/20848291

There is a way to convert TVGOS data from a digital (ATSC) station so it can be used by a DVD recorder. You need a Dish DTVPal+ converter box (but not the Dish DTVPal DVR) or an Artec T3APR-T digital TV converter box (but only that specific model with the "-T"; there are other Artec boxes that ignore TVGOS).

I've done it with the Dish DTVPal+, see the following post:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...s#post17213841

For the OP (who has cable), guide info for cable channels is also sent through the digital, ATSC TVGOS signal (just as it was with the analog one), so you *could* try setting it up to get that, and then using the guide to record the cable channels through (it doesn't seem to work at all trying to convert the digital TVGOS signal straight from a cable box, though - if they're even sending it). You'd still have your cable box connected to the recorder the same way - through a line input.

No guarantees of any sort, though. People report spotty enough results just trying to use that setup with straight OTA. And even if you can find one of the above, two ATSC tuners, they may cost you (possibly well) over 50 bucks. So there are some risks involved.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.