AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which TV is better? I dont really know much about TV's. It will mostly be for watching movies, and playing my XBOX.

Any other suggestions are welcome too, Im trying to stay around the $1599 and less area. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I own the Panny you mention and I am extremely satisfied with it. I picked it up for $1399 at CC and I believe this Panny is the best value for your dollar. DVD's look superb once you adjust the settings. I spent a lot of time looking at the various manufacturers and kept coming back to the Panny. Maybe it was the price, the picture impressed every time. In the end, when it came down to deciding and purchasing, the price was my greatest influence. But I do not feel I am missing out on anything by saving some money. Good luck deciding.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree w/ city planner. I just bought the pan 47wx52 (same set as the 42 but with a screen cover) and I love it. Invest in a ISF calibration and you will be thrilled!

I shopped for a set for 12 months as I completed the remodel of my basement rec room / theater. I viewed every set in the 1500 to 3000 $ range and settled on the panny for 1800 $ at tweeter.

Go for the Pan. You wont regret it.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Every time I have seen these two sets side by side the JVC always looked better but personally I'd buy the Panasonic. The JVC had some problems when it first came out which scared me off where as I've owned a lot of Panasonic products and never had a hitch. I also don't place a great deal of value in how a TV looks in a shop as I've seen Pioneer Elites look like crap due to a poor signal or customers messing with the settings. On top of this the Panasonic is very tweakable which means it will look much better than what you have already seen. Good luck.

·
Registered
281 Posts
What problems did the JVC have when they first came out other than running out of stock?

I think both the JVC and the Panny have great PQ after they are calibrated. The only down-side to the panny is no DVI...if that matters.

·
Registered
22 Posts
One more comment on this, I have spent the past two weeks watching HDTV programs on my Panny and will make one complaint about my tv. IMO, the Panny has a horrible contrast ratio when operating in 1080i. The brights are super bright, but the darks look just fine. I have spent a lot of time adjusting the settings (have not vebtured into the service menu yet) and simply cannot get as good of a picture as I can with DVD's (480p). Now it could be the source, CBS and ABC (but not NBC for some reason), or even the HD tuner I am "borrowing" from CC. I am confident that by the time I start watching much more HD broadcasts than I am now, I will have my Panny calibrated to perfection. One nice thing I noticed through all of this, is that the Panny remembers all my various settings for each individual input (Comonent 1 and 2, composite/S-video 1-4) which very nice since I have noticed that the picture quality depends heavily on the source. For example, I have brightness and picture turned way down for HD broadcasts (Component 2), all settings down the middle for DVD's(Compnenent 1), and picture up high for satelite (composite). Again, the time I spent with setting and calibrating this set is definitely worth the money I saved.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a lot for all your help and replys. I just bought the Panasonic yesterday at CC for 1299.00. I gotta real good deal on it.

What is that ISF calibration? Where can I pick that up?

Thanks.:)

·
Registered
15 Posts
I looked at both sets and bought the JVC. I have been very pleased. The upconvert is good, sometimes better than the HD Sony satellite receiver I use.

The DVI input is great if you use satellite HD.

My only complaint was that the color settings in the 480i mode have a bit of red push, but this can be corrected in the service menu.

Do a good (ISF) calibration on this set and it looks amazing. The performance on real HD content is flawless.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by AZCG
Thanks a lot for all your help and replys. I just bought the Panasonic yesterday at CC for 1299.00. I gotta real good deal on it.

What is that ISF calibration? Where can I pick that up?

Thanks.:)
Sounds great! That's a sweet deal.

For ISF calibration, you'll need to hire an ISF guy to do it. It'll probably cost $300-500 depending on what exactly is done. There are a few highly reputable ISF guys that frequent these forum sites and even do tours around certain parts of the country. Gregg Loewen and Michael TLV are two of them. For more details about this stuff and/or DIY calibration/tweaking, check this cool site:

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index.htm

There's also a dedicated site for Panny owners that you might want to check, especially if you want to do some tweaking yourself:

http://www.panny.tv

Enjoy!

_Man_

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.