AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Please don't kill me for making another TH-42PX80U vs. PN42A450 thread!

I've read all the other threads, and one question still remains unanswered for me.

Even with HD service and a Blu-ray player, I watch a lot of standard definition content, and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, my eyes are very sensitive to the distortion evident in SD content when shown on a HD TV to the point it's more important to me than which black is deeper or which has better color production.

So, my question is, which TV will standard definition content look best on?

·
Registered
673 Posts
going to send the SD via HDMI? or component?

my guess would be the Panny is better or they are about the same. SDTV looks crappy on HDTV's generally no matter what

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Component for now, and might move to HDMI later. I'm upgrading to DVR and am not sure which connections the new box will have.

I'm using Dish Network.

The SD content is a combination of channels which aren't in HD yet, and a large collection of standard DVDs which I don't plan to re-buy in Blu-ray.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltank /forum/post/15484984

Component for now, and might move to HDMI later. I'm upgrading to DVR and am not sure which connections the new box will have.

I'm using Dish Network.

The SD content is a combination of channels which aren't in HD yet, and a large collection of standard DVDs which I don't plan to re-buy in Blu-ray.

Most DVDs should look great as long as you have a reasonably good DVD player. SD TV channels probably won't.

·
Registered
535 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltank /forum/post/15484262

Please don't kill me for making another TH-42PX80U vs. PN42A450 thread!

I've read all the other threads, and one question still remains unanswered for me.

Even with HD service and a Blu-ray player, I watch a lot of standard definition content, and will continue to do so into the foreseeable future. Unfortunately, my eyes are very sensitive to the distortion evident in SD content when shown on a HD TV to the point it's more important to me than which black is deeper or which has better color production.

So, my question is, which TV will standard definition content look best on?

Both TV's are great and will provide an equal amount of enjoyment.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Well as far as I'm concerned the PX80 has the best SD picture of any TV on the market & yes that includes the new Pioneer's.

When I got my daughter her 50" PX80 beside price that was another reason I got it over a PZ80 because she has a big collection of TV series on Video Tapes & DVDs that she recorded.

She also has a 42" PZ700 & she tells me the Tapes & DVDs look better on her PX80 than on the PZ700.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 /forum/post/15486921

Well as far as I'm concerned the PX80 has the best SD picture of any TV on the market & yes that includes the new Pioneer's.

When I got my daughter her 50" PX80 beside price that was another reason I got it over a PZ80 because she has a big collection of TV series on Video Tapes & DVDs that she recorded.

She also has a 42" PZ700 & she tells me the Tapes & DVDs look better on her PX80 than on the PZ700.

I owned and hated the pz700, so that might not be the best comparison. That was a dim set with poor color accuracy and mediocre black levels...all of which will make SD look pretty bad.

·
Registered
197 Posts
DVD upconvert by Sammy or Panny:

Using Lord of the Rings Fellowship... opening ~30 minutes, feeding 480i from oppo upconverting players, my best friend and i agreed that the Sammy did a better job, mine using quasi-cal'd settings, his using one of the settings offered in the 80u topic. When upconverted to 1080p, it was a wash, Panny better (as expected) on dark scenes, Sammy richer on NZ green panoramas.

Television content upconvert by Sammy or Panny:

Not a fair comparison, he is Chicago cable, me ota. The few times that a QUALITY digital SD broadcast could be compared, the Sammy won, but I think due to cable more than the display. The conclusion was agreed by both owners, but impossible to get a apples to apples comparison as he cannot receive OTA in his area, and cable is starved for bandwidth - they don't seem to wanna waste it on ota-available channels.

all components connected HDMI and UPS powered.

fwiw and good luck.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm basically interested in the same comparison. I'll be watching SD content 90% of the time via composite cable. I'm leaning towards the Sammy due mostly to more appealing form factor and swivel stand, but the 80U is almost $100 cheaper now a days.

Any guesses on relative performance of SD via composite cable?

Either of the two have noticably better image stretch mode for watching SD?

I believe the Sammy has more PQ options such as input dependent settings, mabey resolution dependent settings, while the 80U doesn't, is this correct?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I ending up buying the Panasonic for a couple reasons:

- It has front mounted speakers and sounds significantly better than the Samsung. My TV isn't just a theater TV, it's an every day one, so I like it to have passable sound.

- In 4:3 the Samsung's side bars are a very light gray and cannot be changed. I find this horribly distracting, and I still watch a lot of 4:3 content. A lot of SD content is still 4:3.

After having set it up, I really like the Panasonic, and SD on it looks pretty good. I'm getting some dithering, but I think I'll be able to adjust it out. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

By the way, currently Sears is selling the PX80U for $699.

·
Registered
5,850 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoltank /forum/post/15509862

I ending up buying the Panasonic for a couple reasons:

- It has front mounted speakers and sounds significantly better than the Samsung. My TV isn't just a theater TV, it's an every day one, so I like it to have passable sound.

- In 4:3 the Samsung's side bars are a very light gray and cannot be changed. I find this horribly distracting, and I still watch a lot of 4:3 content. A lot of SD content is still 4:3.

After having set it up, I really like the Panasonic, and SD on it looks pretty good. I'm getting some dithering, but I think I'll be able to adjust it out. All in all, I'm very happy with it.

By the way, currently Sears is selling the PX80U for $699.

Dithering? That's kind of weird. Try switching to cinema mode.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I haven't seen the Samsung, but I own the Panny and all of our television watching is SD. I was concerned about how SD viewing would be on an hd tv. You mention HD service so I assume you have a dish or digital cable. We have digital cable and it looks great. It's not up to par with HD programming (I can get HD clear channels if I disconnect the cable box), but it looks better than analog does on our 27" CRT. And our SD dvd's look great on our progressive scan dvd player as well. I mean, it looks so good to me that I've pretty much decided that we probably won't even bother with getting HD on our cable, and I'll gladly wait a couple more years for pricing to come down on Blue Ray.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhewie /forum/post/15511024

I haven't seen the Samsung, but I own the Panny and all of our television watching is SD. I was concerned about how SD viewing would be on an hd tv. You mention HD service so I assume you have a dish or digital cable. We have digital cable and it looks great. It's not up to par with HD programming (I can get HD clear channels if I disconnect the cable box), but it looks better than analog does on our 27" CRT. And our SD dvd's look great on our progressive scan dvd player as well. I mean, it looks so good to me that I've pretty much decided that we probably won't even bother with getting HD on our cable, and I'll gladly wait a couple more years for pricing to come down on Blue Ray.

If you have digital cable you can switch the box out for a HD one and it's the same price! At least with Time Warner it is. Go check it out. Time Warner is home of "FREE HD".

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yeah, it sucks I just saw that. Back several months ago(we have Comcast) it was an extra charge for HD. Then we moved in September so I got the digital deal for a year. Now I just found out it's been free for a few months so I probably could have done it when we moved instead of just the digital. I think there is a fee for the box though, but I have to check.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhewie /forum/post/15513125

Yeah, it sucks I just saw that. Back several months ago(we have Comcast) it was an extra charge for HD. Then we moved in September so I got the digital deal for a year. Now I just found out it's been free for a few months so I probably could have done it when we moved instead of just the digital. I think there is a fee for the box though, but I have to check.

If you already have a box I highly doubt they are going to charge you for another box that has a hd tuner.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts