AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Through StreetSearch, I came across a price of $8448 for the new Pan 50". (mentioned in another post.)

The sites are CompDirect and PC-Video Mall neither of which had the Pan on their sites.

I called the place 888-609-4618 (same # for both), and was told that they have been selling the new Pan for $8468.

They are currently out of stock, which is why it was pulled off their web sites, but are expecting more in in 2 weeks.

When they come in, it will again be on their web sites for $8468, or through phone order.

So do I get the Pioneer 503 for $8423 at Dell w/20% off, ot the Pan for $8468? Suggestions?

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Consensus seems to be PQ of both seem to be very close. Panny does better blacks but not as detailed as Pioneer.

I think ppl went for the Pioneer because of its expansion slot which the panny does not have. This is important because of the DVI and HDCP issues that an expansion slot will future proof you against (hopefully).

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Also, don't forget the Fujitsu 5001/5002, which are based on Panasonic glass but have different electronics and, based on some initial reactions by forum members, may have more "punch" than the Panasonic.

Never an easy decision. All 3 panels appear to be superb. Pioneers perform better in higher ambient light conditions, Panasonic/Fujitsus probably show off their better blacks in a light-controlled environment (according to the review by Pete Putnam in the current Perfect Vision and on his website www.projectorexpert.com ). Which is right for you will depend on your viewing situation and your ranking of things like upgradeability, use of DVI input, etc.

Cheers

·
Registered
744 Posts
Joel,

How come the Fujitsu doesn't advertise the same contrast ratio as the panny? and can you get it with DVI?

Pete

·
Registered
744 Posts
eelton,

Then what is the difference between th e 5001 and the 5002 other than price, (9890 for the 5001 vs. 11998 for the 5002 at audiosound on Yahoo.)? Is this like the difference between the 503cmx and the pro1000 kind of thing?

Back to the glass, if the 5001/5002 has the panasonic glass and the DVI it would seem that you have the best of both worlds. In other words the 50phd3u does not have the DVI and the 503 apparantly does not have the CR that the panny does whereas the 5001/5002 has both, is this right? Anybody have a manual on the 5001/5002?

Thanks for you inputs.

Peter

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Compromise
How come the Fujitsu doesn't advertise the same contrast ratio as the panny?
Because they pretty much make up the contrast ratio numbers. You really need to compare peoples' opinions and actual real-life measurements (like in Pete Putnam's reviews).

Alex

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
I thought the DVI on the Fujitsu was not HDCP compliant. Therefore, it may be nice for quality, but is irrelevant for dealing with potential down-resing of HDTV conent by the broadcast oligarchs.

????

Mark

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
To my knowledge, no PDP or digital display is currently shipping with HDCP-compliance DVI, with the possible exception of the JVC d'Ahlia LCOS RPTV.

That's also true of the Pioneer card with DVI, although obviously someone could make a card that's HDCP compliant.

The differences between the 5001 and 5002 are the latter has FCC Class B certification and a 3-year warranty, and a slightly different frame. There may be others.

Cheers.

·
Registered
823 Posts
The other difference worth noting between the 5001 and 5002 is that the former has a one year warranty, while the latter has a 3 year warranty (although only one year on the plasma panel itself). The 5002 also includes on-site service during the warranty period, which I think is a big advantage.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.