AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Panasonic TU-DST-50W (manufactured in Nov 98 & replaced by Toshiba for the "Blue Sparklie probelm" ~ totally blows away the Toshiba DST-3000, Samsung SIR-T150, and AccessDTV card for "weak signal reception." The only receiver (on two separate antenna systems) out of these 4 decoder boxes that gives me consistent Baltimore reception from my location in Springfield, Virginia ~ is the Panasonic TU-DST-50. As previously posted by "Joe Q" on this forum, reception for weak signals is improved on the Panasonic TU-DST-50W if you can ~ TURN OFF THE CHANNEL MAP IN SETUP." Tom

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hi Tom - I'm a neighbor of yours in Springfield VA and I also use a Panasonic TU-DST-50W. I bought the demo unit from our local Circuit City a few weeks ago. I was thinking of selling it and buying the Samsung SIR-T150. From other posts I've see here, the SIR-T150 supposedly has better reception? I got a new outside antenna from RS and my reception is much better but I think I need a rotor to pick up all the Hi Def broadcasts. Do you use an outside antenna? I'm new to HDTV, I got mine a month or so ago (sale at Best Buy here in Springfield)any way, from what your saying may be I should think about staying with the TU-DST-50W. Thanks for the post comparing the STBs, information is so had to come by, every little bit helps.

TR

·
Banned
1,304 Posts
Not true. The unity motion, 51a, and DTC-100 are FAR better with weaker signals! The 50 is amoung the WORST for OTA receiption bar none!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Harms:
As previously posted by "Joe Q" on this forum, reception for weak signals is improved on the Panasonic TU-DST-50W if you can ~ TURN OFF THE CHANNEL MAP IN SETUP." Tom
Actually, I was referring to the DST51 but I assume that the DST50 is the same way.

Regarding sensitivety, in comparing my DST51,accessDTV and DISH 6000 8VSB card, I really am hard pressed to tell any difference between ANY of the three.

That is with Channel mapping OFF in the DST51.

With it on, it is the worst of the three by a LARGE margin.

My stress case is Channel 27 in DC. Once winter was over, I can not pull it in on ANY of the three receivers. I assume because of all the trees in bloom.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have four HDTV receivers: Pan TU-DST-50W, Toshiba DST-3000, AccessDTV, and Samsung SIR-T150. I have two outside antennas: CM 4251 Parascope UHF antenna with UHF amp and a Winegard 9095 UHF antenna with UHF amp. I tested all four receivers with both antenna systems. The only receiver to consistently pull in Baltimore was the Pan TU-DST-50W with the Channel Map turned off. This was my experience. Tom

·
Registered
196 Posts
Regarding the performance of the TU-DST50W:

I have tested this receiver, the TU-DST51, the RCA DTC-100, and several of the new STBs including the SIR-T150, SAT-HD100, TU-HDS20, and HDT-2000.

These tests were done with calibrated test equipment and known signals on a test bench.

The Samsung is typically 6 dB more sensitive than the TU-DST50W or TU-DST51, as well as the RCa DTC-100. The Sony is the most sensitive of the bunch. The Panasonic - which uses Broadcom chipsets, like the Samsung - is also much more sensitive than the first-generation Panasonic units.

This test was consistent with measurements taken with all receivers and a precision 1 dB / 10 dB step attenuator on channels 26, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46, 55, 56, 62, 64, and 67.

May I suggest that your Samsung is not working up to snuff? Perhaps you should try another one.

KC

·
Registered
630 Posts
Kelvin,

You didn't happen to check a Dish 6000, did you?

If the Samsung is significatly better at weak stations, then it may help me a lot since my reception is always tenuous at best.

Thanks.

Scott

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Colorspace,

Did you test the Pan TU-DST-50W with the Channel Map turned off? I suspect that HDTV Decoder Boxes perform differently in various environments (obvious). Some may be better at multi-path and others might be better at pulling in weak signals. A test (you described) may not represent the population of possibilities. The Toshiba DST-3000, Samsung SIR-150, and AccessDTV perform about the same. The Panasonic TU-DST-50W (that I have) out performs them in Baltimore reception. I will be happy to demo. Tom

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.