Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,

It looks like many of us are in a dilemma between JVC 60/65/70 vs. Pana R56. I started out with JVC, went to Pana, then went back to JVC, and now I am with Pana.

I am not an expert but it seems like picture quality is slightly better (i.e, sharper image) in film mode for JVC. Pana does have a better video mode but you can tweak the JVC to put out decent picture under video. Hands down, Pana wins in its MP3 capabilities (digital out and being able to select title). Some cliam that pana's build quality is poor but I disagree -- Pana is made in Japan and JVC is made in China (I know, I shouldn't make presuppositions like this but historically I've had better luck with made in Japan electronics).

I am so confused now. I would love to get your thoughts on this. Does JVC really have a better picture output or are my eyes playing tricks on me. BTW, I do have a HD TV that doesn't do anamorphic squeeze so downconversion feature is very important to me.

Speaking of which, are there any 720p dvd players? What about the xbox?

thanks

·
Registered
271 Posts
Trust me, im right in the mix with you. Ive recently decided to sell my rp56 to get a rp91. I impulse bought a jvc 60 from ubid for 150. Im not sure what the heck to do anymore! I guess I can let my eyes be the judge, but I already have a sony s530, a pan rp56, skyworth 1050p, the now a jvc s60 on the way. Am i crazy?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You are not crazy. You are like many other enthusiasts -- you want the most bang for your money.

I am going back to BestBuy this weekend and re-purchasing JVC 65GD. I just hope they won't call security on me or ban me from ever shopping at Best Buy -- this is my 6th return on DVD's. I think we all have issues or just have too much time on our hands :)

·
Registered
271 Posts
You know, I actually forgot to list one. I still have one of the old apex that everyone was crazy about. I never thought about it but counting the ps2 and the htpc i have 7 dvd players?!

Looks like I need to pay a visit to ebay and lose some of this!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
ciper,

Get rid of all those and get a Philips Q50 at the best price you can. Their new firmware fix is out if you have bought or buy an "original one", or you can get one with the latest firmware ready to go from HiViZone right now.

Faroudja deinterlacing - implemented right (unlike the RP56 and Skyworth) - 12-bit 54MHz video DAC - zoom - no chroma bug - 1 year world-wide warranty - PAL/NTSC - super sharp image according to Secrets of Home Theater - and a whole lot of other great stuff! (No DVD-A or SACD though.)

I've been looking for 2 yrs for "the right" DVD player and this "fixed" Q50 is reeeeeeeaaaaaaaally looking good.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
pnichols, what is the price range on the Q50? I finally picked up an RP-56 last night and it astonishes me with its progressive signal straight into my G1000, rather than my old Toshiba 5109 run through a C.I. Scaler. It kills it in detail, color and lack of artifacts. I love the Sage chip! If Philips does it better, though, I'm not opposed to returning the Panny.

Is the price over or under $300?

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
Took the lowest net price on the Pany 56, $180, to Sears yesterday. They matched, then gave me 10% off. Final price with tax, $187. I mention to my sales guy that BB is giving coupons for a free copy of Planet of the Apes. He gives me the coupon. The 10% is though today.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I found it at ecost.com for $195 delivered. Ecost is not listed as an authorized dealer tho'

Quote:
Originally posted by RonF
pnichols, what is the price range on the Q50? I finally picked up an RP-56 last night and it astonishes me with its progressive signal straight into my G1000, rather than my old Toshiba 5109 run through a C.I. Scaler. It kills it in detail, color and lack of artifacts. I love the Sage chip! If Philips does it better, though, I'm not opposed to returning the Panny.

Is the price over or under $300?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.