AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

No, my title is not incorrect., I have a panasonic ae-700 I bought around about 5 years ago and it's having the blu-area issue a lot of people mentioned here before and I wanna buy a new projector.

What I wanted to know is if the Epson 8350 is surely better than ae-700 in all parameters?

I can upgrade to ae-4000 (from ae-700) and that will surely upgrade a lot of things, but honestly I am satisfied with my ae-700 and I'm not watching the most full-HD/Bluray content most of the time, so if the epson 8350 is absolutely better than my ae-700 i'll consider getting it (~1300$) rather than then ae-4000 (~2000$)

Thanks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Yes----I had the ae700 as my first projector-----then went to a Marantz vp4001---big jump----now have the 8350---small jump.

So it will be a big and small jump better--lol. I think you'll be impressed---way brighter----much better blacks and higher resolution. That said --the 8350 is not the end-all be-all as on mine at least the blacks could be better but you'll see a big black jump I think.

As far as the panny 4000----it's better than the 8350 on paper---I haven't seen one---if I could afford it it would be the 8700---panny 4000 or the new hd250 JVC. However 2 years from now I'll probably upgrade to something new that will blow those out of the water if projector tech keeps improving.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
as long as the 8350 is better than the ae-700 in all aspect then it's great for me. no downsides in the 8350 compared to the ae-700 at all?

i'm almost tempted to go to the 2000$ ones such as the ae4000 or epson 8700 but logically, if i'm satisfied with the ae-700 (and i watch everything on it, tv, stupid shows and etc... and not only top-quality hd stuff) than knowing i'm not downgrading in any aspect (8350) sounds fair enough :)

·
Registered
146 Posts
Can you elaborate on the AE700 issues with Blu-ray? I just ordered a BR player and also have the AE700. I have postponed a BR becasue I knew that it would lead to me a new PJ and I am not currently in the market for one financially speaking.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hi,

i might have phrased things the wrong way,

the problem i have with the ae-700 is not related to blue-ray at all. There is a part on the projecting area that started to turn blue in the last couple of months.

It was a small area at first, and then it started to grow and now it's quite annoying. I've seen people talking about it here in the forum and all say that it's not that cost-effective to try and fix that...

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagaizenberg
hi,

i might have phrased things the wrong way,

the problem i have with the ae-700 is not related to blue-ray at all. There is a part on the projecting area that started to turn blue in the last couple of months.

It was a small area at first, and then it started to grow and now it's quite annoying. I've seen people talking about it here in the forum and all say that it's not that cost-effective to try and fix that...
Ok, that helps. My AE700 is still going strong after 5 years. I was able to get a free replacement bulb about 1900 hours back so I would rather wait on a 1080P until I have to replace the bulb or something breaks. With our use that's a good year or so away.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts