AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I bought a few items including a Victor (JVC) HM-DH30000 D-VHS Video Tape deck and Panasonic DMR-HS1 DVD-ram/r video recorder (Has 40G HD).

they will be deliverd tomorrow and I am very keen to try a few things on the HS1.....I already have a Hitachi DVD-ram camera so i will be interested in how I go copying my 8cm DVD-ram video discs onto the HD, editing them, then writing them to a 4.7/9.4 DVD-ram disc. Also interesting will be the conversion of the same and outputing to DVD-r.

i will let you know how I go as this ccould be an interesting way to get around the Vro -vob conversion issue.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Adam, please let us know about the HS1's editing capabilities (since it has a hard drive for that).

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
I am sure it does not support PAL. This is a Japanese model and these support PAL even less than US models. It is coming to US in September. There has not been any info that it will come to Europe. It may but I would hold my breath. I know Toshiba is coming to US and Europe with 80GB hard drive but it has no firewire in.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
I am very interesting to see if it can convert VRO to VOB. Also interested in knowing if there is more than one format it can store on the hard drive; is everything recorded as VRO with single-frame editing, or can it record to the hard drive as VOB and allow I-frame editing before burning.

I know it is supposed to allow reading a DVD-RAM to the hard-drive, but I'd also love to know if it can read a homemade (non-encrypted) video DVD-R to the hard drive for further editing and/or duplication.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, looks like lots of homework. I am pretty sure that PAL will not be a goer, and I will be trying all sorts of other tests so I will let you know...... the firewire will make it interesting indeed (the D-VHS player also has it).

I will let you know after a bit of playing.... but I am also interested in seeing what picture quality i get from the HS1...... I ahve a Toshiba SD9000 as a base point so a challenge will be revealing.

Cheers

Adam

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Adam icebergs
OK, looks like lots of homework. I am pretty sure that PAL will not be a goer, and I will be trying all sorts of other tests so I will let you know...... the firewire will make it interesting indeed (the D-VHS player also has it).

I will let you know after a bit of playing.... but I am also interested in seeing what picture quality i get from the HS1...... I ahve a Toshiba SD9000 as a base point so a challenge will be revealing.

Cheers

Adam
Still waiting to here back from you about the HS1!!!!! :) :) :)

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Hi Adam,

Do either of those units have D1 input?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Man, I can't wait for this unit to come to the States! I was surfing e-bay and found someone selling a Japanese one for $1800 US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356899161

Of course, you could import one yourself for a lot cheaper, and I wouldn't bother getting a Japanese unit as it would only play region 2 DVDs, but this guy put together a killer reference page - he's got tonnes of info on the unit!! I printed the page for future reference!

Does anyone have any idea when it will be coming to the States? Also, I know it has firewire in and progressive component out, but does anyone know if it has component in like the Phillips 985?

Hyperseer

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
Do either of those units have D1 input?
Do you mean component? D1 is just a modular component connector for 480i.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
but does anyone know if it has component in like the Phillips 985?
No it does not have component input.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Quote:
I guess Adam icebergs is having to much fun with his new DMR-HS1 to report back to us.
Heck, I've got other questions that I haven't asked because I don't want to scare him away. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Hyperseer
Man, I can't wait for this unit to come to the States! I was surfing e-bay and found someone selling a Japanese one for $1800 US:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=1356899161

Of course, you could import one yourself for a lot cheaper, and I wouldn't bother getting a Japanese unit as it would only play region 2 DVDs, but this guy put together a killer reference page - he's got tonnes of info on the unit!! I printed the page for future reference!

Does anyone have any idea when it will be coming to the States? Also, I know it has firewire in and progressive component out, but does anyone know if it has component in like the Phillips 985?

Hyperseer
I see this guy has sold 2 of these Japanese units. One for $1750 and the other for $1800. Surprised they just don't wait for the US release and save them selves about $700-$900.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Hyperseer - thx for the compliments on my listing :)

Yes, you can get it cheaper when ordering direct. You still will have to buy a down converter and you also need to be rather good in Japanese or you have an expensive paper weight.

I spent 3 days with a translator working my way through the manual. I then spent a lot of time taking screen shots and printing them out, Japanese on top - English below. I supply a rather nice looking manual with the units - binder with plastic sleeves, English page on the left, Japanese page on the right. All this cost money and especially time.

So, do I make money? Nope, so far not. Need to sell a few more. But do I have a good time with that gadget? You bet! First I used it just a little - now it's copying and burning all day long ;)

It's really no big deal that it doesn't play Region 1 DVD's or has a Japanese tuner. I have a hacked Daewoo player to play Region 1 DVD's which I can record on the HS1.

In my setup I have the S-Video output of the digital cable box going to a Kramer Pro S-Video distribution amp. From there it goes to my TiVo and the HS1. I program the TiVo with what I want to record and it switches channels for me (since the DMR-HS1 does not have an IR Booster). If I want to record something direct to DVD or to the hard drive of the HS1 I just have to set the timer.

Walena808 - some people use this machine for professional use and for them time is money. In the few month they wait for a US release they most likely made so much money with the unit they can buy a few more - ever thought about that? You need a few different pieces of equipment and lot's of time to accomplish a job which is a 'piece of cake' to do with the DMR-HS1.

The so called September US release of the DMR-HS1 ...

I spent lot's of time at the Panasonic both at NAB. I asked everybody about an upcoming US release of the unit - nobody could give me a hint of an answer. Next, I emailed some friends in Japan who know people at Panasonic. I was hoping there was a English manual available somewhere in the company - nope.

The only place everybody got there info from is the web site of a dealer .... who says 'expected to arrive in September' and who takes pre-orders.

Where is a Panasonic press release or announcement? That is where the industry usually get's the news from. Anybody seen something in a magazine or paper? Companies like Panasonic usually announce it when they will ship something so people get hyped up and save their $$ for it.

The dealers web site also has a wealth of info on the unit .... in other words 'Full Specs Not Yet Available' - not true; most specs are available (see my listing)

If the unit is available in September, great! If not, I am sure not surprised.

In the mean time, I have a lot of fun with mine :D

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Quote:
The dealers web site also has a wealth of info on the unit .... in other words 'Full Specs Not Yet Available' - not true; most specs are available (see my listing)
That is not true. DMR-HS1 was announced officially for September release in US. As a Panasonic dealer I can already preorder it. I admit that it can slip a little, like DMR-E30 which was pushed back until July.

·
Registered
66 Posts
CKNA is correct...

Products released in Japan do not always make it to the USA with all of the same features. The version of the DMRE20 that was sold in Japan last year already had the hard drive and firewire, which were removed before the USA got the machine.

I have opened the DMRE20 and you can see where the HD was to go and if you flip down the little door in the front, you will see a little sticker in the lower left that covers where the firewire jack should go.

As an authorized dealer for Panasonic, I would rather tell our customers the truth regarding a product's features than to speculate.

·
Registered
4,038 Posts
Kerry,

US E20 is identical to Japanese. E20 never had a hard drive. Firewire was not included on Japanese E20 only on European model that is why you can see spot for it. I had Japanese E20 so I know this first hand.

Actually in case of Panasonic models sold in US most have the same features as Japanese counterparts or even sometimes have more. For example RP56 DVD player only sold in US or Canada not in Japan.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:
That is not true. DMR-HS1 was announced officially for September release in US.
Thanks for the info. Can you provide a link to that announcement?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.