AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Panasonic PT-101 120" CRT projector with RGB inputs. I have the complete service manual, but nowhere does it tell the maximum scan rate. Can I use a line doubler with this projector? Would it improve resolution notablty if I could use a transcoder to dend S Video through the RGB inputs?

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
No, not with that set. Run video only, S-video if your version has it. Some didn't.

·
Registered
540 Posts
my first was a pt-101 also

if you would feed it progressive it would be truly doubled

one field left and the other on the right side of the screen :X

(thou i managed to feed and display 1024x768i with powerstrip!)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, why does it have RGB and computer (VGA?) inputs. through which, according to the service manual, it can display 900 lines versus 400 lines via composite video input?? All this is just too unnecessarily complicated1

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
Back in the day, computers were 320 X 240. It will display that!

:)

·
Banned
522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Palme
Back in the day, computers were 320 X 240. It will display that!

Wow! Wouldnt it be easier to use a lot of little bulbs instead of a PJ? :)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So, let me get this straight... The RGB inputs, according to the manual, will display 900 lines of resolution, versus 400 or so for the composite video input. But I gain nothing by inputting the Svideo or component video from a DVD player or laser disc through the RGB inputs on the Pana PT-101?

I know people don't think much of this projector, but I got it for $5 at a college "garage sale" and it works quite well (after I repaired it) so I WILL be using it, even if just with composite video input. I would like to experiment with the RGB inputs though, if it doesn't cost too much. This is what I call Home Theater on a (Shoestring) budget.

·
Registered
18,501 Posts
1) You can't send a component signal to it, you'd need a transcoder.

YEs, in theory you will gain a b it by bypassing the video input and connecting as close to the CRT sockets as possible (Which is what the RGB input does).

BUT...

The tubes in that set are getting old and soft. I've had 5 PT-101's in minty tube shape come through here last year, and each one suffered from soft focusing as compared to when they were new. That's typical of 15-20 year old ES focusing tubes, the Sonys don't suffer as much from it as the Panasonic tubes, not sure why...

so...

it's more a function of the old tube condition than the chassis at this point. So with old soft tubes you most likely won't see a difference between video/S-video and RGB.

BUt hey, prove me wrong and post your results.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.