AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to be getting a Sony HS-10 projector soon (99.99999% sure now) and since this projector has a DVI/HDCP port, I'm wondering if I should get a Panasonic RP-82 and use the component inputs now or should I wait until there's a good progressive DVD player with a DVI/HDCP output on it?

Or are there already DVD players with DVI/HDCP ports out?

If not, when are any DVD players with DVI/HDCP rumored to be due (if ever)?

Would the difference between a component feed and a direct digital DZVI/HDCP be significant to warrant me waiting?

Before you ask, I'm not interested in going the HTPC route at this point.

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
You can't use the component analog, you must have the DVD mod for SDI which loops past the analog; after thats done. Components to your projector you will have a digital feed. The DVD SDI mod will cost about $600 look around, their are a number of modifiers that will do the job.:)

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
You can't use the component analog, you must have the DVD mod for SDI which loops past the analog; after thats done. Components to your projector you will have a digital feed. The DVD SDI mod will cost about $600 look around, their are a number of modifiers that will do the job.:)
Okay, you've lost me.

I know what the SDI mod is (seen it mentioend as I've looked for a region free mod for the RP-82), but it sounds like you're saying that an unmodified RP-82 can't hook up to the component inputs on the HS-10. Is that what you mean?

Or are you talking getting digital component in via the DVI port somehow?

·
Registered
2,835 Posts
I think hob got a bit confused about what you were suggesting, thinking that you were planning on using the RP82's component outputs with the DVI input on your projector.

Only a few high-end manufacturers have DVD players with DVI outputs on them at the moment (Theta and Tag maybe?), but I think Pioneer and some other manufacturers will be debuting players at CES with DVI outputs. However, don't expect them to have prices that are anywhere near as low as the RP82. I'd expect them to be at least $1500 to start, probably even more.

I just got an RP82, which I'm using with my Hitachi 5500 projector. I was using a Toshiba SD-9200 previously, and the RP82 smokes it. Really beautiful image quality, and very close to the quality of my HTPC (hooked up via DVI).

I say get the RP82 now for $200, and wait for a bunch of other manufacturers to jump on the DVI bandwagon. Then the prices on DVI-equipped players will drop. Unless price is no object, but since you've chosen the HS10, I'm guessing that price does play a part somewhere in your decision.

·
Registered
27,977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by hob
You can't use the component analog,
Sure he can. The DVI input on a projector is capable of receiving either a digital or an analog signal. All he needs to do is buy a DVI-to-RCA adaptor cable such as this one and he'll be transmitting an analog component signal into the projector. A digital-to-digital DVI feed would probably be a little bit better, but is not really feasible at the moment unless he goes the HTPC route.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, now I see where we both got confused.

If I went with a RP-82 now, I'd hook it up to the separate component inputs on the HS-10.

The DVI port on the HS-10 is only DVI-D (no analog inputs like a DVI-I would have), so it's digital only.

It seems like a DVI equiped DVD player isn't in my price range right now, so I'll probably go with the RP82.

Thanks for the info.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.