AVS Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought this today... got a great price that I couldn't resist.

Do any of you have it? I searched online for reviews but came up empty. If an amp or receiver is plugged into the "high current" outlets... are dynamics still restricted? Just trying to figure out more about it. Thanks.

·
Registered
239 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by krholmberg /forum/post/13013138

If an amp or receiver is plugged into the "high current" outlets... are dynamics still restricted?.

You say that as if dynamics are restricted as a rule. I don't think that's the case. And I also don't know if it's necessarily noticeable to all people, with all audio content. But I remember reading a comparison of several line conditioners, and the ones which did color the sound or restrict dynamics (admittedly most of them according to the reviewer) did so even if the amps were plugged into the high current outlets. To me, that labeling as high current AT BEST just means that of all the duplexes available, that one is optimized for amps. And if some compression exists, it is simply the cost of protection from surges. I suspect that in some cases, the labeling may mean nothing. Even real cheap surge strips may label each duplex (receiver, satellite, DVD, analog, etc) and at that price point I doubt they have isolated or treated differently the duplexes.

Just a theory of mine, but since more power is needed for the low freq, if a high enough crossover (say 80 hz or so) is used, then the main speaker amp's internal capacitance should be enough to handle any reasonable dynamics, and the associated dips into the energy stores needed to handle transients.

·
Registered
16,876 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsens /forum/post/13029123

You say that as if dynamics are restricted as a rule.

Didn't you hear?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Far more people seem to think power conditioners limit dynamics than those that think otherwise. I don't know what's true because this will be my first power conditioner. I have an integrated amp for the HT, which does cross over to the sub at 80 Hz, and all 5 speakers in my HT are 2 way monitors, so I doubt the dynamics will be limited. I also have a separate prosound amp for my sub. It delivers 300watts x 2 @ 4hms. It is run hard (near but just shy of clipping) in bass heavy scenes. This is the amp that will be more of a concern. A may have to get one of the separate conditers designed specifically for subwoofers. I would be nice to not have to get anything additional, though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts