AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those interested, we are now offering information on the Panamorph II 2.35:1 conversion lens and a limited-time pre-buy here . This is basically a $1,385.00 price for anticipated delivery the first week in August. The targeted retail price is $2,495.00. I’ll try to keep the site updated with answers to new general questions as they come in.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,580 Posts
Cain,

If the QS does letterbox to anamorphic upconversion (I think it does), than you are in business. You just apply that setting to your anamorphic 2.35:1 DVD's. This won't work with non anamorphic 2.35:1 material though.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Shawn, very tempting........I'm not very clear on how could this new 2.35 panamorph could go wrong for me.

I find I can set my Rock to 2.35 input *and* 2.35 output. Using an ISCO-1 I'm pretty satisfied with the image though it is not exactly right. Round object are a bit oblong.....So, what combination of settings from DVD player and processor will be needed to have good image geometry for DVD's with "full format"??? ie, if a DVD is made for a 4:3 display, can it be somehow stretched in such a fashion as to look good with this new panny???

Jaime

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Shawn-

I hate to sound critical, but how do you expect anyone to believe your ETA, when if I've read correctly, your many, many, many months late delivering for those who signed up for the original Panamorph. Will THAT product ever really be delivered?

If you don't make your August ETA, what interest rate will you be paying on my money that you keep??

------------------

Steve

Visit our dedicated home theater, The City Cinema.

·
Premium Member
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Jaime, I'm not familiar enough with the Rock to advise on its settings. If you can get an image that seems overly stretched in the vertical direction even with the Isco, then perhaps it is in the ballpark. If I recall however, the Isco I is a 1.44 converter instead of 1.33, so if the image actually looks a little overly stretched horizontally, it may be that the Rock is doing a proper 16:9 anamorphic stretch but not 2.35.

Steve, the Panamorph I deliveries will begin next week. It may help to go back into the history of that project, which was actually started by forum members. The basics are that neither the final specifications, the final design, the technology or the manufacturing base existed when the program began. Much of that is different for Panamorph II. However, obviously this program certainly could have unexpected delays as well. At the same time it is in nobody's interest to stretch anything longer than necessary. The discount price is available for those who want to take advantage of it and who want to make the program happen. If it does, then certainly others may purchase at a later time at a higher price with less risk of potential delays when inventories finally build up.

------------------

Shawn Kelly

Cygnus Imaging
www.cgns.com

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Well I did and with my eyes completely open. I don't know about the rest of you but I felt this was a reasonable gamble on a developmental product. The key words here are "gamble" and "developmental. Frankly, I'm amazed that Cygnus stuck with this thing--it would have been cheaper to give everyone their money back, by far.

Steve, respectfully, investing in cutting edge technology has risks, including delay. If you noticed this week's update from Shawn, basically it's all over now but the mechanics and this thing is going to start shipping within the next several weeks. It is a vastly improved product over the original concept and Cygnus has been absolutely amazing and refreshing in their unwavering committment to delivering a state of the art product. My hat's off to them and I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 2.35 lens if I needed it. The "interest" we've earned on our money is that we get this product for a heckuva lot less than the general market. I calculate I'm making about a 50 percent return in a year.

If my stocks had done nearly as well, I wouldn't still be circling around waiting for a projector. Fortunately, all indications are the PLV60 or the 11HT are going to put me out of my misery soon!

Just my $0.02!

Dan Houck

·
Registered
4,836 Posts
I would love to have one but I think I'll wait until they're in stock.

Frank

·
Registered
492 Posts
Shawn

Unlike most of this forums members, I find that I suffer from severe lack of spatial perception. So when the conversation turns to compressions, vertical stretching, and native resolutions, I find that I develop panic attacks similiar to those I experienced during the geometry tests of my youth.

To compensate for this knowledge void, I have developed a simple approach to figuring out whether I would benefit from a particular technology. It is simply to find someone who has my projector, who has shown an understanding of the technical issues and follow their lead.

In my case that individual is David Wallis. He has the DWIN as do I. He clearly understands all the optical geometry issues and has a reasonable amount of skepticism. Also he was kind enough to take the time in the past to answer a personal e-mail and help me with my decision to get the DWIN.

If he thinks this would enhance the viewing experience with the Dwin, count me in

Michael

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Premium Member
16,981 Posts
Goldman

I also have the the Dwin. Im using it in my home.

You will definitely benefit from this lens.

This is a great projector and with this lens watching 235:1

movies will be the best you will ever get from this machine. Also you will not have any black bars and you will have a brighter image.

------------------

Alan Gouger

Thanks for supporting AV Science.
www.avscience.com

·
Registered
492 Posts
Alan

Thanks for the response. After this much investment, in my mind I would be foolish not to

Michaelpurchase an item that will materially enhance the bottom line of my whole set-up, watching movies

------------------

tuckerdog

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shawn,

I don't think it's fair that those who have waited so patiently with very few grumbles for the 16:9 panamorphic lens should have to decide to fund further R&D until we've had a chance to see how the first investment worked out.

I think the original power buyers should have a short period to decide on the 2:35 lens power buy after we've received and had a chance to evaluate the 16:9 panamorphic lens. Do you see a problem with that?

Jim

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
"Michaelpurchase"

Hmmm... Sounds expensive, but much more appealing than a honeydo. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/cool.gif

I sure wish I had put in my order for the $600 16:9 panamorph.

------------------

Dan

[This message has been edited by dschmelzer (edited 05-30-2001).]

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Jim,

There was a very favorable review of the Pannie by a fellow forum member just a few shorts weeks ago. Did you not see it? I'd post a link to it but the search feature has been mostly out lately. He gave a good indication that this lens will be very beneficial to our home theaters. Check it out. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

1 - 20 of 85 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.