AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Hi Luca,

I've got more good news for you. Once I got my lens mounted firmly and positioned correctly, I found that tilting the whole assembly, G11 and 752 together, resulted in very little keystoning(less than I figured)and no distortion that I could see. I was able to drop my image about 10" with no problem.

There is a certain amount of barrel distortion though, with everything perfectly level, most eveident on a desktop.

Congrats on your shipment. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Chris

·
Premium Member
25,494 Posts
Chris,

"Extra brightness, extra Pj resolution, better colors, better blacks."

Better blacks?! The dark area lumens are increased by the same 33% as everything else.

Does anyone know what's going on here?

Thanks

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
254 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by CCLAY:
Once I got my lens mounted firmly and positioned correctly, I found that tilting the whole assembly, G11 and 752 together, resulted in very little keystoning(less than I figured)and no distortion that I could see. I was able to drop my image about 10" with no problem.

Chris
Chris,

This is great news. I am in the same situation you were, where the bottom of my 16x9 screen is lower than my table mounted projector, so I have been tilting the projector down for quite a while now.

Also, my room is not quite long enough, so with the image zoomed as big as it can go, it doesn't quite fill the screen. There's about an inch or so on each side. It will be interesting to see how the Panamorph handles this type of setup. I will know soon, since I also received email that my panamorph is shipping today. :)

Ben

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Noah,

Maybe a better term would be "better overall perceived contrast". http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

The overall blacks and contrast in the image just look better. Like the black gun Bond set down on the table in "The World Is Not Enough". BP(before panamorph) it's just a black image, with not much detail. AP it's a better shade of black, with more detail. Same with the dark cave scenes in Mask of Zorro or the outer space scenes in Fifth Element. Sorry if I used the wrong term.

Nick, I don't think I have any 1.85 discs, but I'm sure they'll be just fine.

Ben, I was ecstatic when I tried this and saw minimal issues. I didn't go too far with tilt, so I don't know the limit, but if you're only tilting a little, you should be ok. The thing that throws a monkey wrench into the equation is that the 752 automatically will raise your image by .081 times your throw, for me that was just under 14", so it made for a real problem. I ended up moving my couch and positioning the G11 close to the floor to get a perfectly level starting point. You may find the need to do the same.

If your zoom is most of the way out, your distortion should issues should be minimal.

Chris

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
I thought the Panny dropped the image for a floor standing projector, not raised it. That's what they show on their web site as I recall.

Really good news the Panny works best if the projector is minimal zoomed. My zoom is almost zilch. I'm on the second prebuy, just dancing around here waiting for this puppy!

Dan

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Quote:

"I thought the Panny dropped the image for a floor standing projector, not raised it. That's what they show on their web site as I recall."

Not so, Dan. Image drop for inverted, image rise for table mount.

Chris

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Ay yup! U be right. Didn't read the fine print. Duh! Lucky I can lower projector!

Dan

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
Good news for those concerned, as I was, about 2.35 discs on the Panamorph 752(16:9) lens.

As Mark Foster would say, IT ROCKS!

I'm using a G11 with a Powerstrip'd 1360 x 1024 resolution.

Having now had some time to dial in the lens assy., I've watched several 2.35 DVDs and the gain we pick up in 1.77 discs, we pick up in 2.35 discs. Extra brightness, extra Pj resolution, better colors, better blacks. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

Having a true 1.77 ratio on the screen, 2.35 discs remain perfectly 2.35.

My temporary install is table mounted, so I won't go into detail about positioning. For me, there is some zooming involved to get the 2.35 image to the top of my screen, but the good news with that is that 2.35 discs are actually bigger on my screen than 1.77 discs because of the shorter height of 2.35 discs.

Speaking of zoom, I've noticed that the Panamorph distortion issues are most minimal at full wide. In other words, try not to set your Pj up with a full zoom scenario. The difference on my system was pretty dramatic.

In using WinDVD, the Keep Aspect Ratio box remains unchecked. Nothing more.

Good news for Radeon/ATI users. I had to do nothing extra to display 2.35 discs perfectly. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif Just keep your resolution ratio at 4:3 and you're good to go. The ATI player must sense that it's in a 4:3 mode and stretches the images vertically. The 752 then compresses it to a perfect 2.35. FWIW, I do execute the atidvd.reg file before ever starting the player. No modification is necessary to the file. That was one my biggest concerns. If you use the ATI, you know what I mean, right? I run the player in full screen always, never windowed.

There is still light spill because of putting 2.35 in a 1.77 panel, but it's better than 2.35 in a 4:3 panel, as you'd have without the Pannie.

I've never seen Fifth Element look so good. Simply awesome.

I can just imagine what the upcoming 2.35 Panamorph will do.

I think I want one now. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/eek.gif

Chris

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.