AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, now that the Panamorph 1 is out of the gates, it's time to talk about the Panamorph-2, (2.35). As many know there is a prebuy, (which I am a member of), so the countdown is on.

At the top of my wish list is a 50-50 compress/expand. Cygnus said that some combination was possible and I think that the above wouold be ideal.

All those with present Panamorph-1's could add the -2 to their setup without any changes. In addition, it could mean a simple 2.35 screen setup with a reasonable throw distance.

I have a 12' wide screen which means that on my D-ILA I need to be 24' back to light it up. I half compress/ half expand would allow me 18' or so instead.

For this reason, I think a full compress would severely cut into their potential market.

Anyone else have any ideas? How do you like mine?

Phil

·
Registered
55 Posts

Originally posted by Phil Olson:

Well, now that the Panamorph 1 is out of the gates

Phil,

Would you have any idea how far out of the gates that would be in terms of units shipped? My impression is that Cygnus shipped two units of the 751 model and then decided to switch over the the 752, none of which has shipped. Do you know the names of any persons who've received either a 751 or 752?

SNIP

All those with present Panamorph-1's could add the -2 to their setup without any changes.

Well, I'd sure like to know how many buyers are included among "all those with present Panamorph-1s." I was near the top of the list on 25 June and haven't heard a peep from Shawn about a delivery date since then.

jim

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 26' of throw distance, so I don't need the compress/expand mode. I am very interested in the dual panny setup though. I assume both are on the same rail system, and you can slide either one or none in front of the lens. My concern is that my projector is 12' high. Moving the pannies is going to be tricky! How about some sort of electic actuator? Perhaps a Radio Control type servo or something.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Phil,

I'm not sure, but I thought that Shawn wrote that linking the PI and PII lenses wouldn't work because of extensive light losses and added distortion.

I also have a shorter throw (19') and a wide 13' screen, so I would love to have a 50/50 stretch/expand lens setup to use my full screen width.

But I would rather have a simple design with the PII that doesn't fill my screen's width (in August) than having a better 50/50 design with extra delay and possibly higher cost.

It seems that the PII is leveraged off of the development research of the 751 and 752, which is the reason for the couple-month projected development, manufacture, release schedule for the PII.

-Dean.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dean,

I wasn't the one suggesting linking the two lenses. I simply suggested the 50/50 as shawn at one time said that some expansion would be possible by simply modifying the prisms, (Shawn, please correct me if I'm wrong).

At any rate, I would settle for even a 20% expansion so that I could at least use it in my current situation.

In addition, I think that it would make for a much larger market for the product since many people would like a large screen but few have over 20' of throw distance to play with. It would simply be a more useable product.

Also, I don't think that the delays have had anything to do with the proper shaping of the prisms but rather the manufacturing process itself. If this is indeed true, then this design enhancement should incur no delay in the process.

Another suggestion would be to make it reversable as the Pana-1 is now, (though not optimized). That way one could have the best of both worlds.

I wonder where Shawn is. Is he lurking, waiting for all the ideas to come in before he 'pounces', or is he too busy to even check his radar screen?

Shawn, what are your thoughts, possibilities?

Phil

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Phil,

I think that Shawn had spoken about two 2.35:1 design concepts.

One is the PII design that he is planning on building now which is not a big leap from the 752 16:9 lens and it would also have a fixed picture width to match the 752.

It would share the same rail design to slide in each lens depending on the movie format and the both lenses would work together on the same screen, and in fact the 2.35:1 PII would be the same width as the standard D-ILA without any anamorphic lens.

The second concept that he talked about could follow the PII and would be a combined vertical compression, horizontal expansion design which would compete more closely with the ISCO lenses for supporting larger screens and/or shorter throw environments.

Personally, I would prefer the 50/50 lens as I would not have to mask all four sides of my screen to fit the smaller image that the PII would create with my 19' throw.

But I'm not willing to wait an extra 6+ months, or spend 2X the price for supporting the additional development of such a new design.

If Shawn decides that there is more demand for a 50/50 PII design, and can keep the same cost and production timeframe I'd be ecstatic.

-Dean.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.