AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bytehoven or anyone else - I see you've used other brands of anamorphic lenses. I'm wondering if a horizontal stretch lens might work with my setup, since the Panamorph didn't. What might be other AVS members experiences with these lenes vs vertical compression lenes? Seems there are two - Isco and Prismasonic.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
You should seriously consider building your own. It can be done very easily with about $20 worth of materials.

Search the web. There are many that have made their own.

If you go to Tor's Website you can click on Home Theater and you'll see some Anamorphic stuff. There's also a link to DIY forums that build them

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
prismasonic makes anamoprhic lenses. i beleive they are about half the price of the panamorphs.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Peer
Bytehoven or anyone else - I see you've used other brands of anamorphic lenses. I'm wondering if a horizontal stretch lens might work with my setup, since the Panamorph didn't. What might be other AVS members experiences with these lenes vs vertical compression lenes? Seems there are two - Isco and Prismasonic.
Could you go in to the details of why the Panamprph did not work?

Right now, the only other lens I have tried that comes very close to the Panamorph visual quality but is a bit more flexible, is the Prismasonic V200 solid prism anamorphic lens. It is also a vertical compression design.

I have not tried any horizontal compression design lenses. But the word has been the HT1000 short throw is just a bit out of spec resulting in excessive distortion.

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was curious if a horizontal compression lens might work with my setup. The Panamorph didn't work because my pj is zoomed too wide for the lens. I was thinking a lens that stretched the image might work because I would not have the pj at the wide end of its range.

However, after watching " My Big Fat Greek Wedding " last night with my mom and my fiance, I've come to the conclusion that the picture quality is really pretty outstanding without adding the hassle of lenses and scaling etc.

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Craig Peer
I was curious if a horizontal compression lens might work with my setup. The Panamorph didn't work because my pj is zoomed too wide for the lens. I was thinking a lens that stretched the image might work because I would not have the pj at the wide end of its range.

However, after watching " My Big Fat Greek Wedding " last night with my mom and my fiance, I've come to the conclusion that the picture quality is really pretty outstanding without adding the hassle of lenses and scaling etc.
Ah, I see. The Panamorph allows the HT1000 to zoom all the way to maximum setting. You have to perfectly position the Panamorph to avoid any of the edges from getting soft, but it does work for me. However, because of the offset issues I have seen using the HT1000 zoom, I have the HT1000 set on minumum zoom and positioned the projector to get my ideal screen size.

good luck with your set up.

RJ

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya, my pj is already installed and it would be very difficult to change at this point. I'll just enjoy the picture the way it is and keep checking out the alternative anamorphic lenses.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
What should we be looking for in a Panamorph lens?

Horizontal or Vertical stretch?

Does it really matter?

Working with a HTPC, does it matter which lens type?

I have the Sanyo XP21 4x3 1024 x 768 projector.

I zoom the picture up to fill my wall with the picture, anywhere between 6 and 9 foot wide(approx)

Which lens would suit it better? Why?

I was only looking at the Panamorph, but now I have the Prismasonic to choose from.

Cheers

Steve

·
Registered
96 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
Ah, I see. The Panamorph allows the HT1000 to zoom all the way to maximum setting. You have to perfectly position the Panamorph to avoid any of the edges from getting soft, but it does work for me.
Perhaps this is a difference between the PSO-HT1000 and the PSO-UNI?

·
Registered
7,555 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by HK-Steve
What should we be looking for in a Panamorph lens?

Horizontal or Vertical stretch?

Does it really matter?

Working with a HTPC, does it matter which lens type?

I have the Sanyo XP21 4x3 1024 x 768 projector.

I zoom the picture up to fill my wall with the picture, anywhere between 6 and 9 foot wide(approx)

Which lens would suit it better? Why?

I was only looking at the Panamorph, but now I have the Prismasonic to choose from.

Cheers

Steve
I think the main thing you need to be looking for, is does the lens you have in mind work with your projector. Then you can select Hor or Vert design based on your screen preference, ie... if you want to consistently control the width or height of the screen.

The challenge to using a horizontal lens over over a vertical compression design, has mostly to do with the throw ratio of the projector. A horizontal stretch lens works best with a long throw projector, I believe a minumum 1.8-2.0 throw or greater is needed to avoid distortion. A vertical compression lens offers the anamorphic option to shorter throw projectors like the HT1000.

The Panamorph works great with the HT1000 through out it's zoom range, which suggests it would work well with projectors of even shorter throw distance. How much shorter, I don't know.

The Prismasonic also worked great with the HT1000, although you could only use about 75% of the HT1000 zoom range before the image was cut off by the limits of the lens.

If you use a fixed aspect lens like the Panamorph, you can make all of your HTPC aspect adjustments and you simply change the projected image size inside your fixed projection screen, with black bars on the sides of 1.33/4:3 material and smaller black bars top/bottom of 2.35 material.

If you use a variable aspect ratio lens like the Prismasonic, you need to decide if you would rather change the projected screen size and maintain height or width limits. IN either case, you can then use the HTPC to fill the projector display chip, and then adjust the anamorphic lens to get proper aspect ratio. Using the Prismasonic V200 vertical compression lens, the projected images changes height and remains consistent in width. A horizontal stretch anamorphic would maintain screen height and vari the width.

Confused? ;-)

·
Registered
20,755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
In my case, the PSO - HT1000 specific lens will NOT work if you are at or very near the widest zoom setting. It did cut off some picture. And cased some barrel distortion. Too bad, but I'm already stretching a 33' component cable to get 12' from the screen - can't move it any further away!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Along these lines, I just bought a new M15U D-ILA with the fixed 1.5 throw. I would like fixed height on an 8ft wide screen but would like to move the projector back to just over 15 feet back rather than the 12' that this fixed lense would require. This will move it behind the theater into my equipment/projection room rather than inside the theater where I have to worry about noise and light leakage. I have heard that these lenses alter the apparent throw distance- do any of them actually lenthen that distance by around 20%.

I suppose my other option would be to sell the new M15 and get the zoom lense model but I would still want an anamorphic lense anyway so I would prefer to use the projector I have.

Anyone have any advice?

Jay

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Isco can shorten your throw as it is a horizontal expanding lens making the 16:9 image larger at a given throw distance. Panamorph does not alter your throw significantly as it vertically compresses your image into 16:9 aspect ratio. None of these lens will lengthen your throw (reducing image size allowing you to move your PJ back further from the screen). You may have to 1) enlarge your screen to move your PJ back, 2) buy a long throw lens for your DILA (expensive).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.