AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So who here has a Panamorph or other anamorphic lens on their 4:3 projector and do you like the results? Is it worth it? I did a search on the subject here but thought I'd ask anyway for more current opinions. I'll have my own opinion in a week or so.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Craig, I just bought a HT1K and am considering a panamorph - so I have been watching for anamorphic lens posts.

As with a lot of tweaks, the results seem to be mixed - see the current thread - HT1000 rebate or lens for some info.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
I have had a Panamorph PSO-universal mount lens on my HT1000 since last spring. The Panamorph is an excellent addition for the 4:3 HT1000 that has onboard vertical scaling for wide screen format programs.

Good luck with your HT1000 and the Panamorph. I would wager you'll be impressed with the combination.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have a solid panamorph on a g15...I couldn't be happier with it. The brightness and resolution increase is amazing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Be sure to give it a good objective evaluation. I was fully expecting some improvement. I did A/B tests for hours and just couldn't see any improvement. In discussions, I couldn't come up with any flaws in my testing approach. Off chance, maybe I had a bum sample?

·
Registered
827 Posts
I would be interested to see your increase in Lumen output as a measurement for 16:9 vs 16:9 letterbox.

Panamorph is having some sales

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I am happy with my Panamorph (oil filled) on my LT150. I would not go without an anamorphic lens on a 4:3 projector if it was available as an option.

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
True, Scotty, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good deal. In fact, I find the anamorphic lens is a big bang for the buck improvement.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by PRH
Be sure to give it a good objective evaluation. I was fully expecting some improvement. I did A/B tests for hours and just couldn't see any improvement. In discussions, I couldn't come up with any flaws in my testing approach. Off chance, maybe I had a bum sample?
One definite positive aspect, was the elimination of the black bars top and bottom on 1.85 aspect ratio films. Of course the the bars re-appear with a 2.35 aspect film, but still smaller than the raw 4:3 mode, and I can put the bar all at the bottom where I find it less obtrusive.

I never really noticed a brightness benefit with the lens.

I do see a minor but apparent benefit in resolution, such that I can make the image just a bit larger at a given distance before I see the pixel structure. In this regard, I can imagin it is possible we see things differently and your vision might be more sensitive and see the pixel structure when I might not.

But the elimination of black bars top & bottom when watching an HD source, is worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
513 Posts
I just ordered an HT1000 and am interested in getting the Panamorph PSO-HT1000 to go with it. I have a 16:9 screen. Does the HT1000 have all the necessary aspect controls to handle anamorphic DVD/HDTV, non-anamorphic DVD, and 4:3 material without requiring an external scaler while using the Panamorph? Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
20,776 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I asked the same question directly to panamorph and I'm satisfied the anwser is ( for the most part ) yes. 3D refrom might need to be used on 4:3 and 1.66:1 material, but that isn't too hard. I'll know more as soon as I get it.

·
Registered
7,561 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom Blake
I just ordered an HT1000 and am interested in getting the Panamorph PSO-HT1000 to go with it. I have a 16:9 screen. Does the HT1000 have all the necessary aspect controls to handle anamorphic DVD/HDTV, non-anamorphic DVD, and 4:3 material without requiring an external scaler while using the Panamorph? Thanks!

Tom
The HT1000 V-Zoom is an imperfect, one size fits all, onboard scaler.

I say imperfect, because ideally it would be nice to be able to scale the vertical in steps between zero V-zoom for 1.33/4:3 aspect ration and maximum V-zoom for 2:35 or wider film formats.

I say this because, when using a 1.85 aspect ration compression lens like the Panamorph, and the HT1000 scales a 2:35 film to fill the whole DLP chip, you end up with an image that is too tall and aspect ratio is narrowed. The work around correction is to then use the 3D Reform controls to pull back the top/bottom or both, to get back a perfect aspect for the 2:35 program.

A 1.85 aspect film on DVD or HD broadcast, works like a charm with the V-Zoom control.

For a 1.33/4:3 aspect ratio film, the panamorph makes the presentation look overly wide and stretched horizontally. In this case, the 3D Reform control can be used to pull the left/right sides of the image in to get back proper aspect for the 4:3 program. Some folks argue you can simply remove the Panamorph, but in my experience this is not an option when using a 16:9 screen because the projected image then goes beyond the top and bottom of the 16:9 screen. Perhaps a HT1000 throw distance could be used that would allow for projector zoom, so the projector zoom could then shrink the 4:3 image down to the 16:9 screen. Gut I get a head ache just thinking about that many steps. The 3D Reform is an easier option.

I have asked NEC to consider offering a more robust scale control menu, maybe even with memory presets, so the HT1000 could be programed for the wide range of wide format options. Hopefully they will do so, but we should all lean on NEC a little more to make it happen. Such an option upgrade would make the use of an anamoprhic lens an easier experience.

I'm not sure about the scaling features on the Bravo D1, but maybe it has some range of controls that would fill the gap when using the HT1000? I'll start a thread on this question over in the DVD player forum.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bytehoven
One definite positive aspect, was the elimination of the black bars top and bottom on 1.85 aspect ratio films. Of course the the bars re-appear with a 2.35 aspect film, but still smaller than the raw 4:3 mode, and I can put the bar all at the bottom where I find it less obtrusive.

I never really noticed a brightness benefit with the lens.
How would this lens affect the black bars for someone using a 4:3 screen? I was assuming that there might be some benefit simply as a result of having less light leakage, but that the main benefit on such a screen would be brightness. Sounds like there is not much reason to get the lens if you have a 4:3 screen, particularly if you watch a lot of old 4:3 movies.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.