AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Hmm...

The new house won't be finished until ~January, and I probably won't have the new HT ready for a projector until mid-spring, in the March/April timeframe. Thus, I probably won't make a projector purchase until March/April of next year.

A couple of quesitons:

Does the PSO lens work well for 1.78 to 2.35 vertical compression?

Without the ability to test the lens myself (obviously, if I won't have a jp for months), what concerns would you guys have over the possibility of a problem with the "cosmetically" imperfect lens actually having a performance issue as well (experimental or "cosmetic" lenses only carry a 90 day warranty)?

Any guess as to what Panamorph's definition of "limited time" is?

If I had to pick a pj today, then based on specs and, more importantly, the throw ratio I need, it would likely be the Sharp Z10000 (VP12S2 is the only other candidate, but even used it would be much, much more expensive once the long throw lens was added). Has anyone used the panamorph in combination with the Z10000? Impressions?

Obviously, I'm trying to decide whether to grab one of these at $850 with free shipping and stick it on a shelf for six months, or wait and hope that either the "introductory offer" lasts several months or that I can find one used for around the same $850 after shipping when I actually get ready for one.

I'm typically a don't buy until I need it kind of guy, except in cases where I know the technology itself isn't going to change appreciably in the interim, in which case I keep my eyes open for the best deal should one pop up. This happened several times with used amplifiers recently.

Hmm... opinions?

·
Registered
2,037 Posts
As more and more Native 16x9 projectors come out, I would imagine demand for the Panamorph would diminish resulting in more competitive pricing. I know, I know, the Panamorph is great for 16x9 projectors as well but I think most people on the edge would hold off if they had a native 16x9 projector.

Tim Huey

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
Interesting point. That does seem plausible... since the panamorph was originally (and primarily I suppose) intended to take 4:3 down to 16:9, people who want a native 16:9 screen (which is a large percentage of new pj buyers I would guess) would no longer have a need for the panamorph when they upgrade pj's. That should create a decent supply of used panamorphs.

Another question then... how long has the PSO model been out? The only used ones I find now are the P572 (or is that P752?). If the PSO is relatively new, then there might not be many available for resale in a few months after all.

·
Registered
459 Posts
don't forget...a panamorph will change a 16:9 format projector to 2.35....which is what many people think is the future.

People line Dennis Erskine and Sam Runco (and I think Alan Gouger) all are in favor of 2.35 screens. So as the 16:9 projectors materialize...a whole new market opens up for the Panamorph.

On another note, I have had one of the PSO solid panmorphs for at least 6 months...and I couldn't be happier with it....although I wish I would have purchased it at today's special price!!

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Tony,

which pj are you using it with and which do you find more appreciable- the increase in brightness or the increase in resolution/smoothness.

also- can any impression of increased smoothness in the image (if there is any) be attributed to the focus being slightly upset when the lens is attached?

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Bigus
Hmm... opinions?
IMHO, you should wait. I think the folks behind the Panamorph understand there is a market at a given price point.

I wish I knew more about the "experimental" lens discount offer. I am hoping someone from Panamorph will pop into the thread and clarify the offering.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by ckolchak
Tony,

which pj are you using it with and which do you find more appreciable- the increase in brightness or the increase in resolution/smoothness.

also- can any impression of increased smoothness in the image (if there is any) be attributed to the focus being slightly upset when the lens is attached?
If I may...

The Panamorph lens does not soften the HT1000 image in the least. The image is sharp as a tack. The increase smoothness comes from the vertical compression of the pixels. It is my understanding, the eye sees the pixel based on it's vertical foor print. So when the image is compressed thru the lens, the pixel's compressed vertical dimension is harder for the eye to see. It works. I find I can get almost 1' closer to the screen with the Panamorp in place before I can see the pixel screen door. As a result I can run a slightly larger screen for my viewing distance.

I can't say I notice too much in the way of increased brightness, but others have measured the light output at the screen and have said using the Panamorph does help provide increaded lumens because of the extra pixels being used to project the image.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by acaciolo
People line Dennis Erskine and Sam Runco (and I think Alan Gouger) all are in favor of 2.35 screens. So as the 16:9 projectors materialize...a whole new market opens up for the Panamorph.
That's why I went with the PSO-UNI bracket mounted Panamorph over the HT1000 specific Panamorph. I could use the universal Panamorph with a 16:9 projector down the road.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Another question then... how long has the PSO model been out? The only used ones I find now are the P572 (or is that P752?). If the PSO is relatively new, then there might not be many available for resale in a few months after all.
I think the PSO series Panamorph has been out since about March. I think that's when I got mine. I got one of the first HT1000 specific lenses and then one of the first bracket mount universal lenses.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Currently I have my Panasonic Short throw 711UX LCD XGA projector mounted just above the couch back at the bottom of the new 16x9 Silver Star 103" screen 13 feet away.

Can I use a Panamorph with the projector not Ceiling mounted?

How do I configure PowerDVD to output the correct way for the panamorph to work? How about the surfing desktop?

·
Registered
459 Posts
ckolchak:

I am using the panamorph on a phelps calibrated g15. The resolution on this projector is amazing, and the fill factor, since it is a dila is second to none (imo).

The panamorph does 3 things for me:

1.elminates light spill when watching 16:9, since the entire image is now projected on the screen.

2. Increases resolution...I am no using all of the pixes instead of just the middle portion of the panel

3. Increases brightness.

All 3 are important to me, but the increase in resolution is very noticeable when watching high def, and the brightness increase is noticable all the time.

Which is most important to me? Tough to say....but I think the extra "punch" due to the brightness is really the crowd pleaser. Although super smooth image is also right up there....

in summary, I like everything about it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Tony,

I am thinking of adding a PSO to my G15. My two sources are HTPC for DVD playback (@1366X768), and DirecTV HD from the Samsung receiver. How do you configure to have the image look right after the additional step of vertical compression from the lens?

·
Registered
459 Posts
I am using a scaler...but I set the resolution at the full panel resolution (1365x1024) If I didn't have the lens in place, everyone would look very tall and very skinny. ( I usually show my home movies that way... ;-) )

With the lens attached, it compresses it back down so that everyone looks the proper proportions.

The key component is setting your resolution to 1024, not 768.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
5,897 Posts
In case anyone is interested, I spoke to someone at Panamorph today. This is the information I was provided:

The "limited time" will run for a couple of weeks at least. Could be longer, depending on how well it is received (not sure exactly which way would make it run longer...).

The "experimental grade" optics means that when you look into the lens, you might see a smudge, or scratch or some other blemish, likely in a corner and not in the beam path, but they guarantee 100% that you won't find any visible flaw in the resultant image.

Cosmetic defects are self explanatory - minor flaws in the housing.

FYI.

·
Banned
8,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:
The "experimental grade" optics means that when you look into the lens, you might see a smudge, or scratch or some other blemish, likely in a corner and not in the beam path, but they guarantee 100% that you won't find any visible flaw in the resultant image.
Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the details on the discounted lenses. Sounds like a great opportunity to save some cabbage without any impact on the projected image.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
An anamorphic lens is not just for the 4:3 PJ owners.

An anamorphic lens provides the same full benefit to 16:9 projectors too, but only with 2.35 material or wider. ( about 90% of my own viewing is 2.35 DVD's )

- Andy

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is very tempting. Can anybody give me an idea (a picture would be even better) of how you mount one of these things (the universal) on a ceiling mounted projector?

Thanks,

--Mark

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Has anyone taken their PSO apart and painted the case to match the HT1000 (or close to it)? It seems like it might be simple to do, but I hate disassembling an expensive gadget only to find I can't get it back together and working as well as it did before I started playing with it (been there, done that!).

MIKE

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.