AVS Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
I cracked faster than expected, the lens is ordered. I am now impatient :)

I also have a Lumagen pro in the system, can it automatically recognize the image format and adapt it automatically or do I have to do the manipulation manually?

So for 16: 9 you use the 16: 9 NLS function and for the 2:35 format ?

I don't have the number of messages required to send private messages yet, but I'm getting there soon :)
Looks like we live 20' away from each other so looking forward to explaining you in person.

The Lumagen Pro has auto aspect ratio - you will be all set ! :)
Absolutely!

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have already received my Paladin lens and I plan to install it this weekend :).

I ask myself this question, at what ideal distance from the lens of the projector should I place it? Or as close as possible is ideal?

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
I have already received my Paladin lens and I plan to install it this weekend :).

I ask myself this question, at what ideal distance from the lens of the projector should I place it? Or as close as possible is ideal?
Congrats! Yes, as close as possible. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
636 Posts

So, hamster71, did you complete the DCR lens installation? What are your thoughts? Just curiosity getting the better of me.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
The DCR-C is in the house! :)
Nice Tom...Did it come with the coffee mug? Tell us what you think after the install.,

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
23 Posts
First note, I bought the paladin and not the DCR paladin, but I think the benefits should be the same.

I just installed it so I don't really have any perspective to get a final opinion but for the moment I'm happy with my purchase.

The advantages are: the gain in brightness, the black bands which are really black now (I currently have a 16: 9 screen) and a better definition.

The only disadvantages in my opinion are: the fact of having to ideally remove the lens during films in 16: 9 and of course its very high purchase price.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Yes! Came with the coffee mug and the XM2 attachment kit (not pictured). :)
Hmmm, I didn’t get one with my DCR lens, must be a part of the promotion. Enjoy.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Tom Bley

·
Registered
231 Posts
After after a few failed attempts of installing the DCR-C it’s finally up. In my haste, I was putting the lens mount that attaches to the plate, backwards. That was putting the lens too far from the PJ. Now it’s as close as possible. It’s not perfect yet, I only fiddled with it enough to fit the picture to the screen. So far I’m very happy with the improvement it provides. Takes my RS2000 to the next level.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
Bump: DCR-C users, so what do you think of your new lens? Don't be shy :)

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Reactions: Craig Peer

·
Registered
75 Posts
I think a panamorph lens is a must if you want the most out of your 4k projector. Honestly, it has been on of my best home theater purchases over the years.
Design for my future room has a 2.35 screen, and a fully enclosed (with proper ventilation of course) box for the PJ, so I'm still on the fence about whether I'd want to go for it due to the loss of horizontal resolution on 16:9. In other threads I was surprised by the number of people who remove their lens for non-scope content. Panamorph obviously avoids the issue on their site, and has no easy solution for doing that AFAIK, and sleds seem custom and expensive. Arg.

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Design for my future room has a 2.35 screen, and a fully enclosed (with proper ventilation of course) box for the PJ, so I'm still on the fence about whether I'd want to go for it due to the loss of horizontal resolution on 16:9. In other threads I was surprised by the number of people who remove their lens for non-scope content. Panamorph obviously avoids the issue on their site, and has no easy solution for doing that AFAIK, and sleds seem custom and expensive. Arg.
I don't remove the lens for 16:9 content, and honestly, if I don't know there were some technical compromises, I wouldn't be aware of it, as it seems just fine.

If you can find someone near you that has one, you could check it out for yourself, and see what you think.

·
Registered
765 Posts
If I had a 2.35:1 screen I would most likely leave the lens in place and mask the sides. My setup is 16:9 so I remove the lens for 16:9 content. It is not a picture quality issue just sizing in my case.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't remove the lens for 16:9 content, and honestly, if I don't know there were some technical compromises, I wouldn't be aware of it, as it seems just fine.
Oh yes I don't doubt it. And if there were any comparisons to be made, they'd have to be on 16:9 / 1.85 content with a 4K DI.

If you can find someone near you that has one, you could check it out for yourself, and see what you think.
I may not be looking the right way, it's been hard finding other HT enthusiasts in the SF Bay Area. There was a nice invitation from Mike though... a bit of a drive ;-)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts

Same here...non issue.

·
Premium Member
11,253 Posts
First note, I bought the paladin and not the DCR paladin, but I think the benefits should be the same.

I just installed it so I don't really have any perspective to get a final opinion but for the moment I'm happy with my purchase.

The advantages are: the gain in brightness, the black bands which are really black now (I currently have a 16: 9 screen) and a better definition.

The only disadvantages in my opinion are: the fact of having to ideally remove the lens during films in 16: 9 and of course its very high purchase price.
Not sure why you are removing the lens. You mentioned you had a Lumagen Pro, so you should be able to leave the lens in place and have full support of ALL aspect ratios. If you are struggling with this, shoot me a PM.

1421 - 1440 of 1467 Posts